Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Is it enough to be the best at what you do?

I decided to treat myself to my favorite breakfast this morning after the positive result of Monday's cardio version and my surviving a very long day of work on Tuesday.  They are the best at this particular choice in terms of the meal itself.

But the service is a factor and on this particular morning it was less than satisfactory.  It took ten minutes for the server to take my order.  Now I understand all too well the life of a server, having performed that job on more than one occasion.  But there are acceptable and unacceptable ways of dealing with a heavy customer load.  You keep telling the person who you are keeping waiting that you haven't forgotten about them.  You serve them their beverage choice, rather than just asking if they want coffee and upon hearing no just move on to the next customer.  On most days I'd have left at the end of the ten minute wait but I just did not want to have to drive somewhere else.

It reminded me of my own work.  I'm very good at what I do.  Most of my work colleagues come to me with their questions when they aren't sure how to proceed.  I teach the subject.  I've worked hard to learn about what I do.  But that is not why I'm successful at attracting and retaining a client base.  It is because I focus on providing those clients with the best possible service.

Today is a good example of how I believe we have to commit to providing that legendary level of service to our customers, in any industry.  I remembered during that protracted wait to place my breakfast order that I'd promised a client that there would be something waiting for them to pick up today.  But I'd been so slammed with clients yesterday I'd forgotten to do it before I left last night.  So after I ate, I went to the office and made sure the paperwork was waiting for the client.  I could have phoned the office and asked someone to call the client and let them know their paperwork wouldn't be ready for them until Thursday.  It would have been easier.  But it wouldn't have been part of remaining client-focused and remembering that without those customers, we would have no reason to remain in business.  They pay the bills.

I know I'm preaching to the choir with a large part of my small audience in writing this.  I just wanted to repeat it for some odd reason.  Have a great day and continue to be willing to excel.