Monday, August 31, 2015

This one will probably get me into trouble.

Chrissie Hynde is being roundly criticized for her remarks regarding sexual assault and her own experience being raped when she was 21.  Here are some of her comments:

“Technically speaking, however you want to look at it, this was all my doing and I take full responsibility.  You can’t f— about with people, especially people who wear ‘I Heart Rape’ and ‘On Your Knees’ badges. … Those motorcycle gangs, that’s what they do.”

“You can’t paint yourself into a corner and then say whose brush is this? You have to take responsibility,  I mean, I was naive.”

“If you play with fire, you get burnt. It’s not any secret, is it?”

“If I’m walking around in my underwear and I’m drunk? Who else’s fault can it be?"

“If I’m walking around and I’m very modestly dressed and I’m keeping to myself and someone attacks me, then I’d say that’s his fault. But if I’m being very lairy and putting it about and being provocative, then you are enticing someone who’s already unhinged — don’t do that. Come on! That’s just common sense. You know, if you don’t want to entice a rapist, don’t wear high heels so you can’t run from him.”  Note:  Lairy is a word whose meaning is gaudy or flashy.

Ms Hynde is completely wrong.  There is a tiny kernel of truth in what she's saying, but it was lost in all of the things she said that are just completely and utterly ridiculous. 

We have laws that mandate what is considered to be "indecent exposure."  Yet a woman going around in violation of those laws is not asking to be raped.  She does not deserve to be raped.  The idea that women should stop wearing high heels to be able to run away from rapists is just nonsensical.  How a woman is dressed has and should have nothing to do with the risk she runs of being the victim of a sexual assault.  Rape is violence, it isn't sex.

So, where is that tiny kernel of truth?  It isn't to be found in what women wear, high heels or provocative clothing.  Nor is it found in women acting in a flirtatious manner. This kernel of truth has nothing to do with making women "responsible" for their becoming victims of sexual assault.  Even if women don't follow the wisdom in this kernel of truth, they are not responsible for a man sexually assaulting them.

That kernel of truth is to be aware.  Women on college campuses who attend parties and the like shouldn't walk about campus alone afterward.  Do everything possible to avoid parking in darkened areas at night.  Heck, men shouldn't do that either.  Have your car keys in hand before walking out of the building to your car.  Look around.  Check inside of your vehicle before entering it.  All this stuff is just common sense, but it can reduce the risk of becoming a victim.

However, if a woman fails to do these things and becomes a victim, it still is NOT her fault in any way, shape or form.  The man (or woman) who assaulted them is entirely responsible and needs to be held to answer.  Chrissie Hynde should be ashamed of herself for her comments in blaming/shaming victims.