Sunday, May 24, 2015

Taking over top ten lists

As least for a while, I'm going to write top ten lists.  After all, there will be no more new ones on The Late Show with David Letterman.  So here is my top ten list of reasons why Donald Trump will never be President of the United States:

10.  Being somewhat self-aggrandizing is required, but being the most self-aggrandizing person on the planet is too much for a President.

9.  Presidents don't wear toupees.

8.  You can't run on your business acumen when you filed for business bankruptcy multiple times.

7.  Having your own signature clothing line is not presidential.

6.  Having your own reality television series is not presidential.

5.  When you are president, you can't put your name on everything.

4.  No one would use American currency with Trump's photo on it.  They'd burn it.

3.  Yelling "you're fired" is great if you're running the WWE, not the USA.

2.  "Trump Will Put the U.S. in the Dump" is a great slogan for anyone he runs against.

And the number 1 reason Trump will never be president is....

1.  If you can't get elected dog catcher, you can't be president.

* * *

Among the fictional police procedural programs currently airing on broadcast television, "Blue Bloods" is my favorite.  I think Tom Selleck makes a great NYPD police commissioner, the show's writing is pretty good, the program is well cast and they've had a good run.  Were I ever to be in charge of a police department, I'd want to run it a lot like what I watch on this program.

Now if I were in charge of the Cleveland Police Department, Michael Brelo's unpaid leave of absence would be over, now that he's been acquitted of manslaughter charges.  Not because I would be returning him to duty but because I would be firing him.  The fact that he couldn't be found guilty of manslaughter by the judge in the case in no way, shape or form excuses what he did. 

After a high speed chase, with speeds exceeding 100 mph, and after officers had fired dozens of shot at the two occupants of the car, this nincompoop got up on the car's hood and fired 15 round downward through the windshield.  Doing this either put him into danger, if the pair was armed, or was totally unnecessary because they weren't shooting back at the cops firing at them.

When you're the police and you believe yourselves to be in a firefight with suspects, one of the things you need to do is stop shooting and make sure the suspects are no longer firing.  The idea is to arrest suspects with the minimum force required.  100 rounds fired into one car at two people is overkill.

Fear and adrenaline do not excuse this.  This man is a danger to himself and others, and needs to find a new line of work.

* * *

A Florida woman is upset that her child's pediatrician fired her after she no-showed for appointments three times.  She should just go quietly.  There is nothing ruder than no-showing for an appointment, especially when the professional you are seeing has a really crowded calendar.

I'm especially sensitive about this at the moment because I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to manage my time and client load next tax season, when I must cut back well over 2/3rds of the client load I handled this year.  My work hours will be limited, my appointments will be limited and if someone no-shows on me, I will almost certainly not give them a second chance.  True emergencies where it wasn't possible to give notice will of course be an exception.

I've been bad about this myself and have vowed to completely stop the practice.  I now always call the automated appointment system at the VA if I can't make an appointment.  If I'm slated to be somewhere and I can't get there, I let whoever needs to know what is going on.  It is a matter of politeness and courtesy.

* * *

Saw a movie today.  First time I've seen the trailer for next year's Star Wars film in a theater.  38 years after I saw the original film, it gave me goose bumps.  I love movies, and in particular several film franchises.  I was so disappointed back in 1983 when we learned that George Lucas had no intention of making either Episodes 1 through 3, or 7 through 9.  Now 1 through 3 are old news and 7 through 9 are coming to pass.  I am very, very excited at the thought of seeing the first show of Star Wars Episode VII when it opens.

Speaking of movies, this is Saturday of the Memorial Day Weekend.  One of the two weekends annually that AMC shows a marathon of war films.  Here is their schedule:

The Dirty Dozen
Midway
The Green Berets
Heartbreak Ridge
Kelly's Heroes
MacArthur
Sands of Iwo Jima
Hamburger Hill
First Blood
Rambo, First Blood II
Rambo III

My first objection to a number of these films is that they are the ones AMC shows every war movie marathon.  The Green Berets, Heartbreak Ridge and Midway in particular.  This trio contains the most jingoistic, flag-waving sentiments of these films.  As a veteran, I believe that we need to honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice this weekend.  That doesn't mean that it can't be done by showing better quality war films.

The Dirty Dozen is a great film, but they've worn that one out.  Same with Midway.  Hamburger Hill is a good choice.  We get more than enough of Rambo.  How about some high quality war movies?  The Deer Hunter, Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, Where Eagles Dare, The Guns of Navaronne, The Hurt Locker and many more would be much better choices.  Then again, I guess I should be grateful they aren't showing Stealth, Birth of a Nation, The Finest Hour or worst of all, Inchon (worst war film ever made).

* * *

Random Ponderings:

I'm not sure which is worst.  Mama June might be right about something, Mike Huckabee calling Josh Duggar "good people" or 19 Kids and Counting not just getting axed.

L. A. District Attorney Jackie Lacey may be right in choosing not to file charges involving elder abuse against Jean Kasem, but I think she should file obstruction of justice charges over Jean Kasem removing her husband from the area to obfuscate the investigation into the allegations against her.

States need to be barred from adding fees to the expense of using welfare, unemployment, disability and SNAP benefits.  If they want to use EBT cards, fine.  But make them fee-free.  Kansas has just done the cruelest thing imaginable, limiting welfare recipients to only $25 per day in withdrawals from banks using their EBT cards.  When you consider the fees that banks charge, it's a drastic cut in their benefits.

Did producer Byron Allen really call President Obama a white president in blackface???  Whoa.

RIP John Nash and his wife Alicia.  Married for 60 years.  Inspiring.

Now Kris Jenner is taking time out from criticizing Bruce to alter the titles of songs.  She belongs in the photo dictionary defining clueless.

It must suck to arrive at Yellowstone or Grand Teton and find some of the best trails closed for repairs.  It isn't like you can easily reschedule.  The trails that are closed for the moment are all awesome, hiked them myself when I was young.

To the man who wrote an open letter to the friends he never sees any more because he and they are all busy with their own lives, take the first step.  Host some friends.  Be the change you seek.

Even dressed in a frumpy way for grocery shopping, Emma Stone looks good.