Sunday, May 03, 2015

Is this a mistake, or a choice?



The 18 year old on top of this car, damaging it with a traffic cone is Allen Bullock.  He went to his parents after this took place and together they came to the decision that he should turn himself in.  His bail was set at $500,000.  The six police officers who are charged in the death of 25 year old Freddie Gray in the incident that sparked the violence and unrest in Baltimore are out on lower bail amounts.  Clearly the system of setting bail in Baltimore remains broken and needs to be addressed.

I listened to an interview with these parents on Headline News this morning.  The stepfather described what happened as a "mistake."  The mother said in this interview and in others that her son is "not a violent person" and "not an evil person."  Mothers tend to be very forgiving of their children.

Allen Bullock has multiple juvenile convictions for crimes including theft and fighting.  He was on juvenile probation at the time he committed this act of destruction. 

Sometimes television is a metaphor for life.  I was watching a rerun of "Walker, Texas Ranger" yesterday.  It is titled "Mr. Justice" and features Walker and friends setting up a "camp" for juveniles who are now eligible to go to the adult prison.  It's a last chance for them.  In this episode, Walker talks about choices and the consequences of those choices.

I made dumb choices as a teen.  I threw eggs off of a parking structure roof at oncoming cars.  I drank alcohol well before my 18th birthday.  Luckily for me, I never got caught.  But I did get caught speeding and paid dearly for it.  I made a choice and paid the consequences.  As everyone should.  When we turn 18, we are adults in the eyes of the law.  You cannot chalk up wanton destruction as simply a case of youthful exuberance and turn a blind eye to it.

So was what Allen Bullock did a choice, or just a mistake?  You tell me.

* * *