Monday, March 25, 2013

The concept of active rest

Back in the mid-1990s, when I was on the verge of being a fitness fanatic, I explored the concept of "active rest".  The term refers to doing some exercise on what is supposed to be a day off.  Since I was running six days a week and cycling five or six days a week, there was almost never a day that was a complete day off.  So on what was supposed to be the rest day, I'd do active rest and do something light.  Maybe instead of running four or five miles, I'd just do two.  Maybe instead of riding the entire bike path of 42 miles, I'd just do ten or 15.

Now of course, I can't really run or ride.  In fact, walking is sometimes a strain.  But I'm referring to the days of rest I've taken as I have tried to transition back to working at least part-time.  Some of them have been active rest days and some have been total rest days.  I've concluded that I need to take more total rest days, fewer active rest days, and that I need to limit the hours I'm working even more than they are already.  At least until the doctors and I can find ways to increase my stamina, endurance and energy (if that's possible).  After working an eight hour day on Saturday (that wasn't the intent), I did almost nothing yesterday and yet today I'm still utterly exhausted.  I need to go to Target to buy something and the thought of having to walk up and down those aisles has my brain trying to find ways to avoid the trip because it is just too overwhelming to consider.  Oh I will go, but I will suffer for it.  Fortunately I do get to see the doctor on 4/24 to discuss this.  I'll just have to rest more and be patient until then.

My table-mate in the dining room is always having a problem with his styrafoam coffee cups spilling when he brushes against it.  It happened today and I finally came up with a solution.  He won't use the plastic cups because the coffee gets cold too quickly.  But by putting the styrafoam cup inside the plastic cup, it is no longer at risk of tipping over.  So I've had my moment of genius for the day.  Guess I should consider myself lucky I had one.

Except that I had what might be another a few minutes later.  I was pondering how I'm going to deal with parking at the VA in a little while.  Mondays are always bad there, and having to arrive at the hour of my appointment is the worst time of day.  I made a wistful wish in my mind for valet parking and it suddenly dawned on me.  They could use a valet parking service. Most veterans can't afford to pay for a valet, but a number can and would.  There are visitors who would pay for it.  Vendors who would pay for it.  It could be run by a company that contributes half of its profits to the VA and/or the Fisher House (a very worthwhile charity that houses the families of veterans undergoing treatment).  I'm going to see if I can find a way to put that idea into action.  Wow, two ideas in one day.  Maybe my body is wiped out, but my brain is working to some degree.

It is pondering other things as well on this Monday morning:

I understand the need some people have to march, protest and the like about things.  But I don't think that anything the people say or do outside the U.S. Supreme Court today will influence the arguments inside the court, or how the nine justices will end up ruling on Proposition 8 and DOMA.  It's great to stand up and show you believe in something.  I just don't think those nine people in the robes are paying attention to what's going on outside their building.

Affirmative action will also be back in front of SCOTUS in two cases that are upcoming.  But these cases only involve education at the university level.  Test question for you.  If you are a private employer, are you required to observe affirmative action in hiring?  Hint:  It isn't a yes or no answer.

Hong Kong has decided that while foreign workers who work as domestic helpers will not be allowed to seek residency status, an exception to the policy for other foreign workers.  Why should domestics be treated differently?  In the U.S., we have a H-1b visa program for skilled foreign workers, coming in to do jobs Americans can't be found to do.  Can we find Americans here legally who will work for minimum wage cleaning houses, or providing in-home childcare?  No.

A city council member in Berkeley is advancing an interesting idea.  Taxing email.  I'm all for taxing spam email.  Imagine if an advertising company sending out tens of thousands of spam emails hourly would have to pay a one-cent tax for every hundred, hell every thousand emails.  I find more and more spam getting past the spam filter on my email accounts, in spite of the fact that I take the time to unsubscribe from every single one that gets through.  Unsubscribing is supposed to reduce, not increase the problem.

On today's episode of "Maury", some moron with nine kids got to here "you ARE the father" three more times.  He needs a vasectomy or a lobotomy.  Or both. 

This Date in History:

On this date in 1199, Richard I is wounded by a crossbow bolt while fighting France.  It would result in his death on April 6th.
On this date in 1306, Robert the Bruce becomes King of Scotland.
On this date in 1634, the first settlers arrive in Maryland.
On this date in 1807, the Slave Trade Act becomes law abolishing the slave trade in the British Empire.
On this date in 1948, the first successful tornado forecast predicts that a tornado will strike Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma City.
On this date in 1957, Allen Ginsberg's poem "Howl" is seized by the U.S. Customs Service on the grounds of obscenity.
On this date in 1969, John Lennon and Yoko Ono begin their first "Bed-in" for Peace.
On this date in 1979, the first fully functional space shuttle orbiter was delivered to Cape Kennedy.

Famous Folk Born Today

Saint Catherine of Siena
Arturo Toscanini
Ed Begley
Sir David Lean (thank you sir, for 'Lawrence of Arabia' and 'The Bridge Over the River Kwai')
Jack Ruby
Howard Cosell
Jim Lovell
Gene Shalit
Gloria Steinem
Tom Monaghan
Hoyt Axton
Anita Bryant
Aretha Franklin
Paul Michael Glaser
Elton John
Bonnie Bedelia
John Ensign (more infamous than famous)
Marcia Cross
Lisa Gay Hamilton
Alex Solis
Sarah Jessica Parker
Cammi Granato
Lark Voorhies (she's hopeful that there will still be a 'Saved By the Bell' reunion)
Wladimir Klitschko
Danica Patrick
Katherine McPhee

And on this date in 2005, Paul Henning, the man behind 'The Beverly Hillbillies', 'Petticoat Junction' and 'Green Acres' passed away.