Sunday, March 24, 2013

If I did this exercise before, I apologize.

Picture two families.  Both have two kids.  Both have one parent working outside the home and one at home.  One is a "traditional" couple.  One is a same-sex couple.  Both wage-earners earn $100,000 per years.

The traditional couple get to file married filing jointly.  The same-sex couple wage-earner files as head of household and claims their spouse as a dependent.  So that shouldn't be a big difference in how big their income tax bill is, should it?  Well it does.

The traditional couple's annual federal tax bill is $10,895.  The same-sex couple's annual federal tax bill is $14,780.  But wait.  There's more.  If they both get employer-provided dependent insurance coverage at no cost, those benefits are tax-free to the traditional couple but taxable income to the dependent couple.  That ratchets up the same-sex couple's federal tax bill to $16,580.  Is it really fair that one couple pays almost $6,000 more in federal tax just to satisfy the idiotic views of religious zealots?  No!!

Okay, moving on to other ponderings on a Sunday.

I worked eight yesterday and I'm thoroughly exhausted.  What little hair I have left is tired.  My plantar fascitis is aching.  I'm breathing okay but I don't see me moving from this chair anytime soon.  Eventually I'll muster up the energy to go lay down.  I might not get up again until morning.  This day has taught me something.  Six hours is definitely the limit for now.  I won't do this again. 

Reports claim that rapper Lil Wayne's seizure was caused by "sizzurp".  That's a mixture of cough syrup containing codeine and promethazine, often mixed with fruit soda to eliminate the mediciny taste.  Highly addicitve, available only via prescription, habitual users may end up consuming up to 25 times the recommended daily dosage.  It can kill.  My question is, how does someone get that much of it, if it's available only via prescription?

Rhianna kept students at a school where she'd promised to appear waiting for more than hours and then left after only 12 minutes and a few staged photos.  How awful.  The students there earned her appearance by working hard and she treats them with such disdain and disrespect?  The sad thing is that many of the students were very forgiving.

I rarely wonder what's going on in the lives of my ex-wives but for some reason they were on my mind last night as I watched television.  I know that the second married the guy she left me for and they have a kid.  Other than that I know nothing.  I wonder if she's happy.  I wonder if she has regrets about our relationship.  I wonder if her brother is still in prison.

This Date in History:

On this date in 1603, James I of Scotland also becomes James I of England after Queen Elizabeth I dies.
On this date in 1603, Tokugawa Ieyasu becomes Shogun of Japan.
On this date in 1765, Parliament passes the Quartering Act, requiring U.S. homes to house British soldiers.
On this date in 1882, Robert Koch discovers the bacterium that causes tuberculosis.
On this date in 1927, foreign warships bombard Nanjing, China.
On this date in 1958, Elvis Presley is drafted into the U.S. Army.
On this date in 1973, Jim Ryun and Kip Keino face off in the first ever professional track meet. Keino won.

Famous folk born on this date:

Ignacio Zaragoza
Andrew Mellon
Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle
George Sisler
Thomas E. Dewey
Clyde Barrow
Norman Fell
Steve McQueen
Bob Mackie
R. Lee Ermey
Curtis Hanson
Nick Lowe
Tommy Hilfiger
Dougie Thomson
Louie Anderson
Robert Carradine
Donna Pescow
Kelly LeBrock
Lara Flynn Boyle
Alyson Hannigan
Peyton Manning
Jessica Chastain