Sunday, March 24, 2013

I saw a movie today

Not that me going to a movie is a newsflash.  I have at least three screenings to go to this coming week, plans to see two other movies next weekend and there might be a fourth screening.  But there's something explored in the film I saw today that's worthy of commentary (without a film review).

The film was "Admission" and it gives the audience a glimpse at the admissions process at Princeton.  I've written recommendations for students applying to a number of universities, applied to one or two myself, but I've never been privy to the inner-workings of the admissions process at the university level.

But I have had an opportunity to watch how the process works at exclusive, expensive private schools and I imagine that it is similar to what goes on at Princeton.  The only thing I'm not sure of is which is a more intense competition.  To get into a school like Princeton, or into the kindergarten class of some of the better schools in Southern California area.  It's probably a toss-up.

For the Princeton class of 2016, there were nearly 27,000 applicants.  Just under 2,100 of them were accepted and only 1,300 will be starting int he fall.  You can do the numbers yourself.  I won't disclose any data about kindergarten admissions during the time I worked at Crossroads, but it too is highly competitive.

The film focuses on a theme involving the process.  It tries to say that there is no "secret formula to getting in".  For the most part there isn't.  There are ways to improve an applicant's chances, and consultants charge thousands of dollars to parents who want to do everything possible to get their kid into the school of their choice.  Now some will dispute what I'm about to say, but it is pretty much the truth.  The one secret formula to getting your child into the school of your choice is to be able to write a big enough check.

There was a parent once who had a meeting with the head of a school (this is the story I was told, I wasn't there) and promised to write the school a check for more than six figures to get their child off of the waiting-list.  The child got off the waiting-list but the check wasn't forthcoming.  Nor was the tuition for that year for the child.  The parent wouldn't return calls from the school head.  Not until the child was dismissed for lack of payment.  Then suddenly the parent was calling.  To find out if he were willing to make good on the pledge, if his kid would get back in.  He was told "no".

Is there a secret formula to get into the school of your choice, other than buying your way in?  Not that I'm aware of.  The best applicants don't always get the school of their choice.  The thing to focus on is that among that pool of applicants, they will undoubtedly succeed wherever they get in, as long as they apply themselves.

I'm tempted to write about the convulted process of private primary/secondary school financial aid, and tell some amazing stories, but I'll hold off on that for now.  I don't want to embarrass some people I'm still fond of.  But maybe someday.