Saturday, October 08, 2016

An apology or a nonapology?


Let's go to the video.



This is from 2005 and has been described by Mr. Trump as "locker-room talk."  He took time to claim that Bill Clinton said things to him on the golf course that were much worse.  Hours later, Trump issued an apology.




"I've never said I'm a perfect person, nor pretended to be someone that I'm not. I've said and done things I regret, and the words released today on this more than a decade-old video are one of them. Anyone who knows me knows these words don't reflect who I am. I said it, I was wrong and I apologize."

The problem is that those words do indeed reflect who Donald J. Trump is.  He's a player.  A lech.  A horny dude.  He may criticize Bill Clinton for the former president's affairs, but Trump is a serial adulterer who took the Fifth Amendment 97 times to avoid answering questions in a divorce deposition so he would not have to admit to having extramarital affairs.

Maybe if Mr. Trump had admitted to being a horn-dog and said that his penchant for "pussy" has  no impact on his ability to govern, this non-apology wouldn't bother me.  But he can't even admit the truth when it comes to the fact that he lives a good part of his life between his legs.  Instead he denies that those 2005 comments tell us exactly what kind of man he is.

Did a  married Donald Trump try to have sex with a married Nancy O'Dell?  Seems to be the case.  So a man whose first marriage ended because of an affair with his second wife, a man who has made unfounded allegations that Hillary Clinton was unfaithful to her husband, can't even be honest about who and what he is.

Donald Trump's best move at this time is to follow the advice of more than a few Republicans and drop out of the race voluntarily.  But he won't.