Monday, February 15, 2016

My turn as presidential speechwriter

The following is a draft speech for the President to deliver to the American people in the wake of the passing of Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia.

My fellow Americans, we mourn the passing of a man who sat on the bench of this nation's highest court for nearly three full decades.  Many agree with his opinions and many disagree with them, but this is a moment to celebrate his service to our nation.  In describing the work of Justice Scalia perhaps words from Vice President Biden are best.  Then Senator Biden remarked after Justice Scalia had been on the Supreme Court for some time that he wished he had opposed Scalia's nomination because "...he was so damn effective."

Some Senate Republicans and other candidates for the nomination of that party are saying that they will not allow confirmation of anyone I nominate to take the seat on our highest court that was left vacant by Justice Scalia's untimely passing.  I will pay no attention to these and other comments along those lines.  My term as President does not end until the day my successor takes the oath of office in January of next year.  There are far too many pressing issues that the Supreme Court is considering to allow the stagnation of progress.  Indeed, the intransigent obstructive nature of the Republicans in the House and Senate is holding this nation back from dealing with the critical issues of the day.  Therefore I will submit a nominee to replace Justice Scalia as soon as I have completed my selection process.

I also have a warning for the Republican senators who are threatening to prevent confirmation of any nominee I submit for consideration.  I will not make a recess appointment.  Instead I will veto every single piece of legislation that lands on my desk that was introduced by any Senate Republican.  I will become just as powerful a proponent of gridlock as these men and woman have been over the past seven years.  I will bring the process to a grinding halt.

Petulant?  Perhaps.  But if the members of the United States Senate choose to ignore their responsibility to provide nothing more than advise and consent of any nominee I submit, I will have no other choice.  It is my sworn duty to uphold and defend our Constitution.  That document mandates that I nominate someone to take this seat and provide the Supreme Court with full membership.  I will carry out that duty.

God bless you and God bless the United States of America.