Friday, March 29, 2013

Metrics

We live in a world of metrics.  I get a phone call from a VA computer every day, to monitor my vital signs.  So I have to take my blood pressure, heartrate and other measures every morning before it calls.  If I ignore it long enough, I will end up getting a call from a human being wanting to know why I didn't update the computer.  So as a result I have to weigh myself every morning.  That's how I've come to realize just what work is taking out of me.

The last two weeks, I've been at least two and sometimes three pounds lighter the day after working.  Clearly I'm either sweating out lots of fluid or otherwise consuming energy/body resources in just sitting at a desk and getting up occasionally.  It's very weird.  Part of me wants to work every day as at 2 to 3 pounds per day, I'll be thin in no-time.  But logically I know I'd end up dead long before that from exhaustion.

Then again, I will be working five straight full days to end the tax season.  So on April 16th, I can lie in bed all day and reflect on being lighter while trying to not fall into a deep sleep for two or three days. 

What's wrong with Major League Baseball?  Maybe the fact that Alex Rodriguez of the NY Yankees will earn $29 million this season and miss much of it with injuries while the entire 25 man roster of the Houston Astros will earn a combined $25 million.  That's why I refer to A-Rod as Pay-Rod.  That's why the major market teams who can outspend the others make the playoffs more often.  It isn't a hard and fast rule, but given the fact the Yankees have outspent every other club since 2001 and have made 11 post-season appearances in that time, it's strongly suggested.

Why is Michelle Shocked shocked that there continues to be fall-out from her anti-homosexual diatribe on stage?  She was going to do a show in Santa Cruz that was scheduled before her tirade and it was subsequently cancelled.  So why would she show up and stage a "sit-in" outside the club?  Because she doesn't get it.  Back in the day, unless you were being televised or otherwise recorded on tape, you could go back and 'spin' your words.  Now with all of the smart phones in the world, along with other devices, anything you say in public is probably recorded somewhere.  There's audio that disproves her claims trying to spin her words as having been a description of how others feel on the issue.  Simple rule.  Engage brain before putting mouth in gear.

This Date in History:

On this date in 1549, the city of Salvador da Bahia is founded as Brazil's first capital.
On this date in 1683, a 15 year old Japanese girl is burnt at the stake for having committed arson due to unrequited love.
On this date in 1847, General Winfield Scott leads the U.S. Army in capturing Veracruz following a siege.
On this date in 1849, Great Britain annexes the Punjab.
On this date in 1871, the Royal Albert Hall is opened.
On this date in 1886, Dr. John Pemberton brews the first-ever batch of Coca-Cola.
On this date in 1911, the Colt M1911 .45 caliber ACP becomes the official sidearm of the U.S. Army.
On this date in 1951, Ethel and Julius Rosenberg are convicted of conspiracy to commit espionage.
On this date in 1971, William Calley is convicted of murder in the My Lai Massacre and sentenced to life in prison. 
On this date in 1973, the last U.S. combat soldiers leave Vietnam.

Famous Folk Born This Date:

Carlo Bonaparte (Napoleon's father)
John Tyler
Cy Young (pitcher with the most career wins by far, but also the pitcher with the most career losses)
Man O'War (hey, he was a very famous horse)
Pearl Bailey
Sam Walton
John McLaughlin
Scott Wilson (for my friends who are fans of "The Walking Dead")
Eric Idle
John Major
Vangelis
Terry Jacks
Denny McLain
Walt Frazier
Teofilo Stevenson
Karen Ann Quinlan
Christopher Lawford
Marina Sirtis
Kurt Thomas (please destroy all copies of the movie "Gymkata")
Annabella Sciorra
Elle McPherson
Lucy Lawless
Brandi Love
Jennifer Capriati (why isn't she being reviled by those who decry domestic violence?)

And on this day in 2005, the lawyer who said "if it doesn't fit you must acquit" went to the big appeals court in the sky.  RIP Johnnie Cochran.