Wednesday, February 20, 2013

And the agony of the feet

This morning, when I got up I noticed that whenever they'd made my bed yesterday, it had been pushed toward the West wall of the room.  That moves it out of line with the television.  So after pulling on some sweats, I decided to move it back.  Not putting on shoes first was a big mistake.  In trying to get between the bed and the tall nightstand/cabinet next to the bed I managed to kick that piece of furniture with great force.  Now two of my toes are swollen to epic proportions and the pain is intense.  I'm hoping some tylenol will dull it a little.  I'm not going to the doctor over it.  Even if it involves broken toes, they can't do anything except prescribe painkillers, soaking with epsom salts and elevating it.  I'm doing two of the three at the moment.

The day improved when I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Mark Webber and Shannyn Sossamon; the stars of "The End of Love", a film I saw last week and will be reviewing.  I'm also doing an article on the film and the story behind it.  I've had the pleasurable and not-so-pleasurable experience of interviewing actors, writers and directors.  I've also gotten to know some of them.  Mark and Shannyn were open and honest in talking about themselves, the movie and the making of the movie.  Two very genuine and nice people.  Two artists definitely passionate about their craft.  I look forward to bigger and better things from both.

It might have been an even better experience if the harried receptionist had given me the right amount of validations so that I wasn't forced to spend $13.50 for parking.  In retrospect, given how many tasks he was trying to do at the moment he gave me the validation card, I should have double-checked that it was right.  I'll own some responsibility for failing to do that. 

I tried to stop by and visit my instructor from last year's tax course, but she was out of the office.  I was in the neighborhood and was just curious to see how she was doing.  I'll try again.

Last night my friends and I played trivia and some of us were going to play together tonight, with the same trivia host but at a different bar.  However, he let us know that owing to an emergency, he would be re-using the same game tonight as we played last night.  Since we know the answers to all 50 questions, it would be completely unfair for us to play the game.

That doesn't mean that I wasn't tempted, and didn't ponder how much fun it would be to go and win, collect the money and watch the team that's won the last two weeks be unable to gloat like the braying fools they've been after their prior victories.  Ethically and morally, I could not do it.  But I certainly can think about how much fun it would be, as long as I don't go.

Sunday is Oscar night.  Sadly, it's also the night of the trivia league finals and so we won't be able to watch the Oscars.  They will undoubtedly be on the television screens where we will be playing the game, but the sound will be off.  I suppose winning the first prize would assauge the frustration of being unable to watch the telecast and hear the speeches.

My Oscar predictions will be posted sometime between now and tomorrow morning.  I'm not predicting in all categories, only Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor and Actress, and the two writing categories.

Now I need to go and search out some epsom salts.