Sunday, October 28, 2012

I'm so sick of campaign stops being shown on TV...

that I'm wishing Steve Martin had been right when he did a bit back in the 1970s.  He posited that politicians should learn to play the banjo, so they could step off of the plane at a stop and say, "I'm going to talk about politics in a minute, but first a little "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" and then they could start playing the banjo.

It's the weekend before the weekend before the election and the endorsements are flying.  All who were surprised that the very liberal New York Times endorsed the President for reelection, raise your hands.

Saw a movie yesterday, "Chasing Mavericks" that I did not know going in was based on a true story.  I am pondering whether or not their marketing campaign should have been stressing that fact.  The true story that the movie is based on is very compelling.

I am pondering if I arranged my movie weekend subconsciously so that the situation that has arisen today would do just that.  I'm going to a theater right by a Chick-Fil-A but that fast food place will be closed since it is Sunday.  Did I subconsciously remove the temptation to stop there?  Is it no longer unacceptable to shop there since they're on the record saying they will no longer donate to hate groups?  The owner of this location is on the record saying he doesn't agree with the philosophy of the company's CEO in making those donations.  Doesn't matter, they'll be closed and there will be no Chick-Fil-A for me even if I was going to rationalize that it would be okay.

I just listened to a young voter on TV describing why she will be voting for Mitt Romney.  She said something about agreeing with the philsophies of President Obama, but that he's gone away from where she agrees with him and she likened it to a "bad break-up".

I'm pondering why the son of a sitting member of the House, who works for his dad's campaign would even "humor" someone discussing how to commit voter fraud, knowing that there are people out there looking to 'entrap' people into going on the record saying they support voter fraud.  He's either the biggest idiot in politics, or he had no problem with voter fraud.  There is no third choice.

I'm pondering why the man and his son sitting in front of me at the movie yesterday thought they were in their living room and carried on a conversation about the film until I finally "shushed" them firmly.  Adults who talk in movie theaters grew up as kids who talked in theaters.

I am reminded of an incident that happened years and years ago (in fact, it was when the "Godzilla" film with Matthew Broderick in it came out).  I got to the theater early, got a good seat and just before the movie started, a woman came in with her husband and kid.  The kid wouldn't shut up once the movie started and I told the woman she needed to make the kid be quiet.  "He's just a kid". "That doesn't make it okay for him to ruin the movie for me."  "You can move."  "I was here first, and the theater is packed now.  You move or keep the kid quiet."  Apparently her kid's right to blabber on and on was more important than my right to enjoy a movie.

Sports teams do dumb things sometimes.  The Oklahoma City Thunder just traded away one of the best "sixth men" in the game when they couldn't reach a deal on a contract extension.

I'm actually glad we're only having one team trivia/pub quiz this week, considering the final exam in my course will be Friday or Monday.