Thursday, October 25, 2012

In the scheme of things...

we've all heard about discrimination based on something in a specific niche.  As an example, take a woman's blouse versus a man's shirt.  The logical reason given by a dry cleaner as to why it's more to dry clean the blouse makes no sense.  That the buttons are on the left side versus the right side shouldn't make something more expensive.

I dealt this week with a different form of discrimination.  I needed to buy a dress shirt because while I've regained lost weight, my clothes in my storage unit are still way too big.  Not that I planned to try to dig them out by myself, that would have takens hours and hiring of day laborers to move furniture would have been involved.  So I went looking for a shirt.  My size wasn't available at the first two stores I hit.

So I went to a "big and tall" store and found a shirt.  At twice the price I would have paid at either of those two places I first looked at.  Ultimately I bought that shirt but before wearing it, I shopped further and found one in the same size at a "normal" store and it was half the price.  So why was the shirt at that special store twice as much?  It was the same size as the one that was the usual price.  That means it wasn't because there was a lot more fabric, which would have been a logical reason I could understand.

I believe that the higher price is the fact that the market is a captive audience.  Tall guys can't shrink themselves.  Big guys can lose weight but that's a major struggle.  If you're on the cusp between the big and tall world and the regular size world, you pay big time if you fall on the wrong side of that cusp.  Me, I'm returning that overpriced shirt today.  Funny thing, the less expensive one looks much nicer.

I have music in my head, so I'm going to share it.  If you listen and any of it gets stuck in your head, it will go away eventually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxJFjO4Skgo

Heard that on the 70s at 7 last night after predicting they'd play it.  The other prediction I made that they ended up playing was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_3QqzI23sE

On the way home I wanted to hear an 80s song, but of course the radio didn't play that one.  So here it is now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_3QqzI23sE

There's just something about a good song with great sax riffs.

Today I need to sit down and review the two films I saw on Tuesday.  I also have to go fight the parking lot battle that parking for a VA appointment is.  Fortunatey my experience has been that it isn't as bad on Thursdays for some reason.

I'm pondering how was Jerry Sandusky's first night in the real prison.  He was moved there yesterday and will be "evaluated" for a week to determine his level of security risk.  Any fool knows that there's an extreme risk of his being murdered if he's allowed to enter the general population at any time. 

Reggie Jackson.  Albert Pujols.  Babe Ruth.  Three of the all-time greats of baseball history in terms of career accomplishments.  But Pablo Sandoval?  He joined the other three as the 4th player in MLB history to slug three home runs in one World Series game.  World Series heroics make players who were somewhat known into household names.  Just think about Don Larsen.  Well, he is nicknamed the Kung Fu Panda.

I'm pondering why hurricanes and typhoons, both types of tropical cyclones, spin in different directions.

Is Emma Watson going back to the Ivy League to finish her education just in case that movie career thing doesn't work out?  Or does she just want to finish her education for herself, which would be a good thing.  Guess we'll never know for sure.  After all, Brooke Shields graduated from Princeton, even though her courses at Princeton did not include any in history, math, philosophy, economics, world literature or science that required a lab.  How do you get an Ivy league education without any of those course?  I guess being a gorgeous, six foot tall model and actress who had done half a dozen movies and published her own autobiography her sophomore year might have helped.

I'm pondering the course of events that led to a 12 year old Irish girl having to sue her mother and father over the loss of her sister and friend due to her mother's drunk driving.  The mother was BANNED from driving, but did it anyway.  What the hell does it take to get drunks to stop getting behind the wheel?

I'm pondering how a monkey in Tampa can get almost 90,000 likes on Facebook and I can't get above 64 followers on Twitter.