Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Last night, I didn't get to sleep at all....

no wait.  That's a lyric from a song, and it's also the title of the 5th Dimension song.

Actually I slept until 5:54 a.m. and wish I could have slept longer.

But that may have had something to do with what a long day yesterday was.  I left fairly early in the morning to get to AFI by 9:30 in order to get parking and get to the first of two screenings that day.  Thanks to the fact that there was really nowhere to sit down and have lunch, lunch between screenings was a bag of pretzels from the snack machine.  Then I had to fight rush hour traffic and go from Hollywood to Orange en route to Santa Ana.  I needed something at a mall in Orange (there's a Sears there).

Six employees in the appliance department greeted me in unison when I walked in.  I almost felt bad that I wasn't there to buy a washer or television.

I was exhausted by the time the second screening was over and I got more and more tired as the day wore on. Clearly I'm more deconditioned than I thought and after I finish this class, I need to get back to walking to build up some stamina.  Or maybe this is as good as it will get.  Time will tell.

I'm pondering many things today.  One of which was the cost of a shirt I bought this week.  I needed a work-type shirt in order to not be in sweats/t-shirt when I meet someone who may end up offering me a part-time job for next year.  The same quality shirt in the same approximate size was $40 +tax at the "big and tall" store, but only $19.99 at Sears.  Why is that?  Because it's at the bottom end of the captive market that big and tall stores cater to?  Probably.  Another incentive to watch what I eat, if I can find the mental discipline to do so.

I ponder why I'm struggling with that mental discipline.  That's a whole blog in and of itself and I'm not ready to write it.

I ponder why it is that the things that are the worst for your body are the ones that taste best.  If fresh fruits and vegetables tasted like Baby Ruth bars, the world would be a healthier place.

Why was I able to buy gas for 37 cents a gallon less than anywhere else around here at a regular old Shell station today?  Did they get a big shipment on sale?  I hear that some Costcos will be selling gas below $4 a gallon this week.

I'm not pondering whether or not to go back to where we played trivia tonight, when their next game happens on November 24th (no one wants to go there on Nov 6th, which is election night).  I won't be going.  I'm sick and tired of the same team winning.  They have Brits on their team, and the British hostess asks too many British-centric questions.  Even if my teammates and I do know who Henry VIII's 4th wife was, who was on the throne at the time of the sinking of the Spanish Armada, who was the first man to walk on five continents and some of the other British-centric question's answers, I'm just tired of that focus.  The hostess also does a lousy job of research and won't accept when she's wrong and a question has another answer besides the one she claims is the only one.
  
Why does everyone assume the message on Heidi Klum's t-shirt is meant for Seal?

Did owners of strip clubs really think they would get away from arguing that lap dances should be tax-empt because they are "artistic performances?"

Did Arby's really fire an employee who had been with the company for 23 years who fled a knife-wielding robber by going out the drive-thru window?  Yes they did, but it sounds like she got the ax (no pun intended) not for fleeing the robber, but for allowing herself to be alone in the restaurant in violation of policy.  Apparently this wasn't the first time she'd done that either.