Friday, October 12, 2018

California November 2018 Ballot - Governor and United States Senator

As noted in my blog on the governor's race back when California held it's "Top 2" primary this past June, incumbent Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom ran a campaign with one goal in mind.  He wanted to be facing Republican candidate John Cox in the general election, rather than another Democratic candidate.  He got his wish.

Neither one of these candidates are offering solutions to the biggest real problems faced by California.  How to combat the state's overreliance on individual income tax revenues, how to deal with the state's $1 trillion in unfunded pension liabilities and the exodus of businesses from the state.  Nor does either of them have realistic solutions for the housing/homeless crisis.

That being said, there is really no contest here.  Gavin Newsom will stand in the way of every single attempt by Donald Trump to harm California.   John Cox will support Trump's initiatives, like offshore drilling and an utter lack of regard for the environment.

So, I will vote for Gavin Newsom.

* * *

In July of 2017 I wrote that I wouldn't be voting for U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein in either the primary or general elections this year.  The most recent polls give her a double-digit lead over her opponent, State Senator Kevin de Leon.

I still won't vote for her.  The argument that the state needs her seniority in the Senate has validity.  I was very disappointed with her handling of the "confidential" letter from Dr. Christine Blasey Ford.  Those issues should have been discussed with Senator Grassley earlier in the process, something that could have been done while protecting Dr. Ford's identity.  I don't know who leaked her name and I don't buy the contention that it was Senator Feinstein who leaked it.

Age is never an absolute.  I think back to my days of sharing meals with "M" in the assisted living facility.  He was over 100 years old, a retired attorney and he still had a mind as sharp as anyone I know.  Dianne Feinstein will turn 86 in the first year of her next term in office.  If she serves out the full term, she will be only the fourth nonagenarian to serve in the U.S. Senate.

I only hope that if she becomes unable to vigorously perform her duties, she will step aside at that time.

FWIW, I would say exactly the same thing about a male senator.  In fact, I might be a bit harder on a male senator, given that women have a longer life expectancy than men.