Saturday, May 25, 2019

U.S. Navy limiting Tuition Assistance

The federal fiscal year runs from October 1 through September 30.  Here is it only May and the United States Navy has run out of funding to provide tuition assistance for its personnel for the remainder of this fiscal year.

While the Vietnam Era G.I. Bill benefits were the primary educational benefit that attracted me to enlist in 1976, there was a tuition assistance program even then.  My first duty station was at Homestead Air Force Base to the south of Miami, FL.  I spent many hours in the Educational Services Office working on my college education.  That's where I first learned about the College Level Examination Program (CLEP).  Completing Basic Military Training gave me six hours of college credit.  The CLEP program gave me 30 more credits, just by taking tests.  I was right out of high school, but the exams were fairly easy.  Then I enrolled in the local community college and the Air Force was paying 75% of the tuition.  Later on they improved the program and they were paying 90% of the tuition.

Here is a memo distributed by Vice Admiral Robert P. Burke, currently the Chief of Naval Personnel.  It is worth noting that last month the #LiarInChief nominated VAdm Burke for promotion to full Admiral and the assignment as Vice Chief of Naval Operations.  That's the #2 post in the entire Navy.  One of the new rules describe in this memo takes effect on October 1, 2019.  At that point, personnel must have two years of service before they will be eligible to use the Tuition Assistance program.  I enlisted on 8/8/1977.  I arrived at Homestead AFB in late December of that year.  The following month I was taking college courses with the use of tuition assistance.  Two years seems too long, especially since some Navy enlistment contracts are for only two years after completing basic and technical training.  Offering educational benefits as an enlistment incentive and then failing to deliver is just wrong.

There is some sense in limiting the number of credits a sailor (or soldier, airman or Marine) can take in a year.  But not in a career.