Saturday, February 02, 2019

This behavior is not in keeping with who I am today

Virginia Governor Ralph Northam is being inundated with calls for his resignation.  Why?  Because of a photo in his 1984 medical school yearbook.


I am all of eight days older than Governor Northam.  We are both veterans.  It is 2019 and neither of us are who we were in 1984.  In June of 1984 I was stationed in South Korea, working very hard and playing almost as hard when I wasn't working.  I'm sure I'd be a bit embarrassed if there were photos of some of the stuff I did during that one year tour of duty.  I wouldn't want to be judged about who I am and what I do in 2019 by photos from 1984.

However, neither youth nor the passage of time can be used to excuse racism.  This is not a youthful indiscretion or bad judgment.  Governor Northam was within months of his 25th birthday when those photos were published in that yearbook.

During his senior year at Virginia Military Institute, he was President of the school's Honor Court.  That is the student-run group who sits in judgment over those who are accused of violations of the school's very stringent Honor Code.  That post should have thoroughly inculcated Governor Northam in the issues of right and wrong.  Apparently it didn't take.

His desire to try to weather this storm is understandable, but naïve.  Democrats and Republicans are calling on him to resign.  There is no issue related to keeping the governor's office in the hands of a Democrat, since current Lieutenant Governor Justin Fairfax would become Governor if Northam resigned.

Governor Northam followed up a statement released by his office with a video:




He talks about regaining the trust of Virginians.  A worthwhile, if nearly impossible goal.  He needs to step down if he is truly interested in healing.