Tuesday, June 19, 2018

A welcome 20 joules shock and other Monday stuff

This is an example of what I did this morning, although I didn't wake up when the shock was applied.


This wasn't my first "rodeo" in the cardio wing's outpatient procedure room at the West LA VA Medical Center.  Back in March of 2016 I underwent cardioversion and it was successful.  The details of that morning are here.

I stayed converted in a sinus rhythm for about 18 months.  Then, for no apparent reason, I went back into what's known as A-fib.  Back in February of this year, they tried and failed to get me back into that normal, sinus rhythm.  This morning was a better result.  I converted on the first attempt, at only 20 joules.  For comparison, back in February they shocked me four times.  No luck.

It is difficult to describe the difference between being in A-fib and being in sinus rhythm.  I've been getting so short of breath of late, I have to sit down and rest when walking from the VA parking lot to a doctor's office/clinic.  When I left the recovery room, I walked out.  All the way to the curb.  I allowed my sister to go and get the car, but the truth is I could have continued out to the parking lot.  It makes that big a difference.

My thanks to my sister for getting me there and home.  To my friends for their moral support.  Hopefully I won't have to do this again.

* * *

Space Force?  Here's what Donald Trump said today:

"Very importantly, I'm hereby directing the Department of Defense and Pentagon to immediately begin the process necessary to establish a space force as the sixth branch of the armed forces.  That's a big statement.  We are going to have the Air Force and the Space Force, separate but equal."

This is intriguing to say the least.  He borrows from history, specifically Plessy v Ferguson, harkening back to when "separate but equal" allowed segregation of schools.  He ignores history when it comes to creating another branch of the armed forces.

Prior to September 18, 1947, the US Air Force was part of the Army.  It was known as the US Army Air Force.  It took an act of Congress to change that.  The National Security Act of 1947.  In simpler terms, he doesn't have the authority to create a new armed force.  That's at the discretion of the Congress.

This idea also ignores the reality that is the current situation when it comes to defense spending in this country.  In February of this year, Secretary of Defense James Mattis told Congress that budget shortfalls are damaging military readiness.  Creating a new branch of service will create another level of military bureaucracy.  This is just another attempt at distraction.

* * *

Most of the members of the Congress are parents.  Fathers and mothers.  Why is it that in the Senate, the 47 Democrats and 2 Independents have all signed the bill to stop the separation of families at the border; yet not one single Republican Senator has signed the bill?  By sign I mean become a co-sponsor.

Will the real obstructionist in the Senate, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell allow this bill to come to a vote?

The refusal of the Republicans in Congress to stop this horror is an abdication of their duties.

* * *

I suppose it is good to know that the Republican nominee in the race to become California's next governor isn't a total idiot.  John Cox said this when asked about separation of families at the border:

"I'm against separating parents and children.  I'm a father.  I have four daughters.  That's a congressional problem, and I hope that we get a congressional solution very soon."

Cox's chances of winning the race in November are miniscule at best.  Supporting the separation of families in this state would be political suicide.  Then again, he was clever enough to blame the problem on Congress, which will endear him to Donald Trump.  Then again, it isn't like Trump can endorse anyone else at this point.

* * *







Those tweets are from a man named Spenser Trapone.  He was an officer in the U.S. Army until he resigned his commission on Monday.  In an interview he said, "Of course my military career is dead in the water.  On the other hand, many people reached out and showed me support.  There are a lot of veterans, both active duty and not that feel like I do."

I am a veteran and I do not feel as he does.  I hope that the Army will take action to force him to repay the cost of his West Point education, since he failed to serve out his five-year commitment.