Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Six hours for an eye exam is more than a little frustrating

The VA has a new tool.  I get text reminders of appointments.  The reminder asks me to confirm if I will or won't be making the appointment.  When I respond that I will be at the appointment, the automated system responds with "please arrive 15 minutes before your appointment."

Yesterday's appointment was for 9:15 and I arrived at 9:01.  After standing in line for five or six minutes I was all checked in and took a seat in the waiting room.   Just under 90 minutes later, one of the optometrists I've seen in the past came up to where I was sitting.  She said "the technician says he called your name but you didn't answer.  I'll let him know where you are."

I never heard my name called and even though I was playing Words With Friends on my phone, I'm an attentive listener.  The technician showed up and we did the test (it's a field of vision exam).  Then the technician directed me to a specific waiting area (there are several in this clinic) and I waited.  When the ophthalmologists all left for lunch, I was frustrated.  When their attending physician returned from lunch, I pointed out I'd been there since 9 a.m.  She promised to see what the hold up was.  She returned and told me I was waiting to be seen by an optometrist and that their attending would make sure someone came to see me.  That was at 1:35 or so.  Finally, just before 2:15 I was seen by the optometrist.  It was after 3 p.m. when I was finally able to leave, with an appointment for three months from now in hand.

Again, the fault isn't with the doctors.  The optometrist who examined me apologized profusely for the wait.  The technician didn't address the issue.  The conclusion was indicative of what is wrong with the system.  I had my portable oxygen tank with me, so it should have been obvious that it isn't easy for me to just stand around.  I'd been standing in line for ten minutes before I was finally called to the window.

When I got to the window, the clerk there asked me for my last name the last four of my social security number (that's how they track who we are) and then picked up a pile of papers on her desk and began dialing her phone.  She told the person who answered that their paperwork was ready to be picked up.  After that, she examined the paperwork and discovered that some of what was in the stack belonged to someone else.  At that point she began a protracted discussion with one of her co-workers about how this paperwork didn't belong there.  Finally she turned back to me and again asked me for my last name and last four.

I understand multi-tasking, but you don't ignore the person in front of you and make them wait while you begin a new phone call.  It is the height of rudeness.