Thursday, April 26, 2018

Not sure who to blame...

The VA sends me prescription refills from a centralized pharmacy in the area and they use UPS for shipping.  I signed up for the UPS application that emails you when you're going to receive a package.  It lets you know that a package has been sent and is scheduled for delivery.

I got an email telling me that there was a package delivered to me on 4/25/2018 at 10:18 a.m.  Problem is, I was home at that hour and the doorbell did not ring.  There was no knock at the front door.  I did walk out through that front door where the package was allegedly left at about 10:45 a.m. that morning and there was no package there.

I woke up from a nap on 4/26/2018 at around 4:30 pm to find the package in my room.  Mom had come home earlier and when the electricians who were working in the home (yes, I can sleep through the sounds of working electricians when I'm tired enough) left, the package was on the porch.

The medication inside the box was perishable and required refrigeration.  The icepack had melted.  It is almost a certainty that the medication is no longer useful.

I submitted the refill request on 4/9/2018 and it was mailed out on 4/23/2018.  We'll get into the two week time period that took in a moment.  The point is, I've been without this medication for more than two weeks now.  And before you blame me for not submitting the refill sooner, bear in mind that this is an injection pen medication where they issue you a supply of three of the pens.  The last one in the box was taken out on 4/9 and didn't work.  So my being out of the medication is not my fault.

Why did it take two weeks to refill one medication when the Liar-In-Chief has made the VA and its systems so much better?  That's a really good question.

I'm a big fan of the doctors and nurses I deal with at the VA, but the system itself has done nothing but get more difficult to navigate since Trump took office.  The West LA VA Medical Center ER is underdoing renovation, but their temporary triage unit is less than ideal.  Two weeks from submitting a prescription refill online until it is mailed out is unacceptable.