Tuesday, January 30, 2018

The Ranting Teacher/City Councilperson

I write a lot more blogs in my mind than appear on the screen.  Yesterday I was tempted to write one about a Pico Rivera history/government teacher's recorded rant, but I did not.  Not because I didn't have something to say about his rant.  I decided to let my thoughts marinate in my mind because of my visceral reaction to what Gregory Salcido had said in his classroom.

24 hours have passed since I first listened to his words.  These words.


While my service ended nearly 30 years ago, I am no different from the men and women who are serving today.  They are all volunteers.  They all had other options, but they chose the military.  Not because it was their only choice.  And like me, they are not "dumb shits."  

According to the George Washington University Facts in the USA project, 82.8% of military officers hold an undergraduate degree or higher, compared to 29.9% of the general population.  93.6% of military enlisted personnel have a high school diploma or some college, compared to 59.5% of the general population.  Looks to me like military personnel are, on average, better educated than the rest of our nation's population.

Mr. Salcido posted a statement on his Facebook page when he learned about the controversy regarding the recorded rant:

"The Salcido 3 just got out of an excellent musical, 'The Band's Arrival'. I turned my phone back on to unexpectedly see a storm. I don't think it's wise for me to make any specific comments, but I want my friends, family, and students to know we are fine and we respect the rights of free expression for all individuals."
I'm going to call you out on that, Mr. Salcido.  You told one of your students the following in that rant of yours; referring to the student's Marine Corps shirt.

“Why would you wear something that you can’t freakin’ support? Don’t ever wear that again, don’t ever wear it here.”

Someone needs to educate this educator that when you support free expression for all individuals, that includes what they choose to support on their t-shirts; albeit when in a classroom, it has to comply with the school's dress code.  You have no right to tell a student not to wear a particular t-shirt in your classroom just because you don't like what it represents.

I'd also like to ask Mr. Salcido to please elaborate on how Russia got to Italy first during World War II, before the U. S. Army did.  The U.S. and other allied forces invaded Sicily in July of 1943.  When did Russia cross into Italian territory, Mr. Salcido?  Would you also please give a few examples of people who were killed by the falling bodies of other people who jumped from the World Trade Center, according to your rant?  Thanks so much.

I understand that a lot of teachers are against military recruiting on school property.  They are certainly within their rights to complain about that.  But the military is a viable career option.  Going back to data from Facts in the USA, a military officer with an undergraduate degree earns 88% more on average than a civilian with comparable education.

Speaking of college education, when I first started going to night classes as a community college, the Air Force paid 75% of the tuition.  That increased to 90% when I was promoted to the E-5 paygrade.  That's in addition to the education benefits available to military personnel after they complete their military service.  I have a client who graduated from a prestigious private university (FYI Joel, it wasn't that eternally damnable junior university) and his VA education benefits paid for all of it.  His future is very bright.

Should the school fire Mr. Salcido?  If this were his first offense, I would say no.  But according to the Daily Breeze, this isn't his first brush with authority based on his actions in the classroom.  He was placed on administrative leave and then suspended in 2010 for allegedly threatening a student.  In 2012 he was again placed on administrative leave for hitting a student.  He claimed to have smacked the kid without intent to do harm, to wake him up.  He was accused by the student of shaming the student over his weight and appearance.  I think they need to take a very close look at his classroom comportment and carefully consider his future with that school.

Should he resign from his city council post?  I suspect that if he doesn't, the voters will fix that problem in the next election.