Thursday, February 23, 2017

Random Ponderings - 02/22/2017

If he had lived, George Washington would be celebrating his 285th birthday.  Instead he is rolling over in his grave watching the actions of the Confederacy of Dunces occupying the White House.

* * *

28 year old Michael Rae Papayans pleaded no contest to assault charges as the result of his having savagely beaten a Mets fan in the Dodger stadium parking lot after the Dodgers lost to the Mets in a 2015 playoff game.  The beating victim was knocked unconscious and lost a piece of his skull.  Mr. Papayans will spend 14 days in jail and make over $100,000 in restitution.

Bet if he lived in a less affluent neighborhood than Palos Verdes Estates he might be facing a stiffer punishment.  Meanwhile, misdemeanor charges are still pending against his mother who is accused of kicking the unconscious victim while he lay helpless on the ground. 

* * *

Today will be the eighth straight day I've worked.  The only thing propelling me forward at 4:19 a.m. as I write this is the fact I have tomorrow and Monday off from work.  But when I first thought about today being the eighth of eight, I was reminded of one of the best jokes ever regarding ESPN.


If its almost a sport, it's on the Ocho.

* * *

Are people making too much of a flinch?  Judge for yourselves.


I tend to think that any woman might be a bit concerned about being touched by a man who brags about being able to grab them by the p***y.

* * *

From last night's Late Show with Stephen Colbert, after he described 'rogue' Twitter accounts like AltStateDept, Alt_DOJ and the like:  "The idea that a high-ranking government official would be on Twitter is laughable."

* * *

Add "From Not to Hot" to the list of reality shows involving fame-whores that I won't be checking out.  Okay, maybe for just a moment to see what is described as the dramatic results of weight loss surgery performed on Honey Boo Boo's mom.

The problem is that hotness on the outside with nothing of substance on the inside is simply quick visual stimulation.  I find intelligence much more important.

* * *

At its corporate headquarters in Zurich, the top executives at ABB, a company that is involved in robotics and power & automation technology are probably scratching their heads to try and figure out how one of their employees in South Korea managed to steal $100 million.

Actually he is suspected of having help from people outside the firm and the authorities believe the employee has fled to Hong Kong.

* * *

Katherine Heigl is starring in a new legal drama on CBS titled Doubt.  I've watched the first two episodes and I'm enjoying it thoroughly.  I went to IMDB to see what people were saying about it on the message board and found a big surprise.  Three days ago, the site disabled its message boards.  I haven't posted on them in ages and haven't had occasion to want to read any of them until just now.

Wow.  A major shock.  When I was first out of the hospital back in mid 2011 and mostly housebound, I spent hours reading and writing on those boards.  Now I wonder why the site made this choice.  I must have missed something.  So I checked.  Their stated reason according to multiple media sources is that they feel the boards "no longer provided a positive, useful experience.

* * *