Friday, July 15, 2016

Playboy model's transgression and faux apology

Once again a celebrity has done something really wrong and is now claiming they aren't the type of person who does what they did.  2015 Playboy Playmate of the Year Dani Mathers posted the following photo on SnapChat.






In the wake of the strong criticism she received for doing what she did, Ms Mathers posted a video apology.



Now let's review what she said in her apology.

"I just wanted to acknowledge a photo I accidentally posted here on SnapChat earlier today."

No.  It wasn't an accident that you posted the photo.  The only accident was that you posted it for anyone to see.  You deliberately posted this photo for a purpose.  The accident was that you didn't limit the audience for your post as you intended to do.

"...and let you guys know that was absolutely wrong and not what I meant to do.  I have chosen to do what I do because I love the female body and I know that body shaming is wrong and that's not what I'm about and that's not who I am."

No.  You intended to body-shame this poor woman in the eyes of whoever you intended to send this photo to.  It is who you were at the moment you breached every single iota of proper protocol for behaving in a gym locker room.  You don't take pictures of others, especially if they are stark naked.  If a man had done this he would have already been arrested, as you should be.

"That photo was taken to be part of a personal conversation with a girlfriend and because I'm new to SnapChat I really didn't realize that I'd posted it and that was a huge mistake."

Proving your intended to body-shame this woman, but only among your friends.  As though that's less wrong that what actually happened?  As if body-shaming is alright as long as you don't do it publicly?

I'm not going to bother with the last part of her apology where she repeats her earlier lie that this isn't who she is.  She's proven that claim to be false.

Now she's been suspended indefinitely from her regular gig on a L.A. area morning drive radio show.   She's also been banned for life from any gym owned by L.A. Fitness, the gym where this happened.  That is nowhere near enough of a consequence for what Ms Mathers did.  The woman in this photo should sue her.  The police should arrest Ms Mathers and she shouldn't be treated "differently" because she's a hot celebrity.