Thursday, April 21, 2016

Lessons learned and releared

I spent the entire day on April 19th decompressing following a very busy tax season.  I'm going to spend another day doing that on Wednesday.  But I have spent some time reflecting on the days from January 2nd through yesterday and hope I've learned (and re-learned) a few things.



There is a need to say no, although moderation is required.

My desire to make those above me in my chain of command happy has me raising my hand to volunteer when it would be a better choice to remain silent.  To say yes when asked to do things I know will require me pushing beyond my limits.  I hate the limits my physical infirmities place on me.  I like that my ability to will myself to exceed those limits on occasion.  However, doing it too often is not a smart choice.

* * *

No good deed goes unpunished.

I wrote about this a bit in a previous blog.  I thought I was doing a favor for someone who is a friend of a long-time client.  I quoted him a price range.  Bad idea.  Always a bad idea.  I wanted to be nice.  It was a bad decision.  Be professional, be courteous but don't put yourself into a bad position by not trusting your instincts.

* * *

Patton was right about war.  Paraphrased, he's right about business.

General George S. Patton was quoted as saying, "a good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week."  Right on the money.  Timing is critical.  That's why a good plan, executed well now is better than a perfect plan executed in the future.

* * *

Buzzwords and catchphrases are nice, but client focus wins the game.

We've had a lot of those.  Make the client feel connected, confident and championed.  Serve the client as the client wants to be served.  Be your client's advocate.  They are all useful and yet the primary message is simple.  Focus on the client's needs.  Be client-focused.  I've found this to be a key to giving clients that legendary service experience that will keep them coming back.

* * *

Knowing what you don't know is key.

I stress this in the classes I teach.  No one can know every aspect of a profession.  But you can and must know how to find out the answer to a client question.  If there is part of the task you don't know how to do, ask for help.  Ask someone with more experience.  Research the answer on the web.  You could just say to the client "geez, I don't know either."  Or you can say "I think I know the answer, but let me double-check to make sure I'm right."  You show the client you care enough to be certain you are correct.  That builds rather than reduces confidence.