Saturday, April 23, 2016

A big decision after 36 years

Bank of America
Lowe's
VF Corporation
Extended Stay America
Snyder's-Lance
Krispy Kreme Donuts

Six large corporations who seem to have nothing in common.  But they are all headquartered in North Carolina and that's now a problem for me.  It is true that I no longer use Extended Stay America, but now I will not use them again under any circumstance as long as they are headquartered in a state that is legalizing discrimination against the LGBT community.

I do love the pretzels from Snyder's of Hanover, now part of Snyder's-Lance but I can give them up.  There are other pretzels out there.  Lots of alternatives to Lowe's and I don't buy much outdoor gear these days so VF isn't a problem.  I rarely eat donuts so no sweat about Krispy Kreme. 

But I've been a customer of Bank America for nearly four decades.  I don't want to have to deal with the major nightmare it would be to move my accounts to another bank.  To change all of my auto-pay debits and direct deposits.  However I can't help but consider it now that North Carolina has passed this law.

To be fair it has to be noted that Bank of America made a public statement denouncing the anti-LGBT law in NC.  But they have made large campaign contributions to the politicians who are behind this law.  They won't comment on whether or not they will continue to support these politicians.

So I am going to wait.  But if they give more money to these people, I'll be moving my accounts elsewhere.  In spite of the inconveniences it will cause.