Monday, January 19, 2015

Monday, Monday

Today, Monday is not just another Monday.  It isn't:


Or


Or


In fact, my favorite sentiment about Mondays is this:


However, the third Monday each January is important.  More important that any of the other Monday holidays we celebrate here in these United States.  Here's a list of Monday federal holidays in 2015:

January 19 - Martin Luther King, Jr. Da
February 16 - President's Day
May 25 - Memorial Day
September 7 - Labor Day
October 12 - Columbus Day

There are 11 federal holidays in all.  Only one celebrates and commemorates one person, who was born in the 20th Century.  Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  Why is it that of all the people born in the 20th Century, to this point only one is worthy of such a celebration?  Because no other man was so instrumental in fostering change in this nation; and while the changes need to go much further, without his efforts the South might well continue to have four restrooms in public facilities.  Two for whites and two for "coloreds."

Without Dr. King, retired General Colin Powell would not have been able to write about how magical it was to be able to go to a burger joint and purchase food at the front entrance.  Before he'd been turned away and told the only way he'd be eating those burgers was to go around to the back door and the waitress would sneak one to him (an offer he declined).  To list all of the changes that have come to pass because of Dr. King would take more than these tired fingers are able to type.

I'm not interested in those who seek to denigrate this great man's legacy by raising allegations against him.  None of us are perfect.  Our heroes all have feet of clay.  But Dr. King managed to soar above all of us in spite of those feet attempting to hold him down.  In spite of the FBI and the machinations of its director, J. Edgar Hoover.  It wasn't a loss of interest in his "other" wardrobe that drove Mr. Hoover to order surveillance of Dr. King.  It was his fear that Dr. King was an agent of change, and that fear proved to be well-founded (yes, I know that the rumors of Mr. Hoover's cross-dressing have been debunked).

How should we remember Dr. King?  As a true hero.  An amazing person worthy of the admiration he receives.  But perhaps we should remember him as he said he wanted to be remembered.  Speaking less than two months before his death, Dr. King said this:

"If any of you are around when I have to meet my day, I don’t want a long funeral. And if you get somebody to deliver the eulogy, tell them not to talk too long. Every now and then I wonder what I want them to say. … I’d like somebody to mention that day, that Martin Luther King Jr. tried to give his life serving others.

I’d like for somebody to say that day that Martin Luther King Jr. tried to love somebody. I want you to say that day, that I tried to be right on the war question. I want you to be able to say that day that I did try to feed the hungry.

I want you to be able to say that day that I did try in my life to clothe those who were naked. I want you to say, on that day, that I did try, in my life, to visit those who were in prison. I want you to say that I tried to love and serve humanity."

This is how we should remember this remarkable man.  You changed the world, Dr. King.  RIP.