Sunday, June 30, 2013

Quality of life and other early morning thoughts on a Sunday

I'm trying to figure out what will improve the quality of my life.  First, things that would definitely improve my life but aren't going to happen:

It would definitely improve my quality of life if:

I woke up tomorrow morning with the physical health I had at age 25.
I had enough money that I would never have to think about how much something I want costs, I could just buy it.
I were six inches taller.
World peace could be achieved so I would never again hear a beauty pageant contestant say what she really wants is world peace.
I could eat anything I want without gaining an ounce or otherwise harming my body.
I had a device that would allow me to mute people I don't want to hear.
I was able to spend time in real-life with the good friends I have on-line.
I could sleep for 20 minutes and be as rested as if I'd slept 8 hours.

There is a excellent chance that the quality of my life would be improved if:

I was able to make at least some progress in healing the damage that's been done to my body.
I could work full-time and had a job I enjoyed that paid enough to keep a roof over my head, food on the table, the bills paid and a little left over to have a social life.
I was able to teach (that's coming soon, at least on a small scale).
I could run road races again, even if only once a month or every other month rather than nearly weekly like I used to do.
I were physically able to bowl and could get past my hang-ups about how technology has ruined the sport.
I could learn to better tune-out the people I don't want to hear.
I could be a better listener to the people I want to hear.
It wasn't such a struggle to make healthy eating choices.
I didn't have to watch people I care about struggling.

Since the items on the first list are almost certainly impossible to achieve, I'll have to focus on working on those things on the second list.

* * * *

In today's Los Angeles Times sports section, Bill Plaschke tells the heart-warming story of Ira Hawkins, who was an usher working for the Dodgers.  He joined the team when they moved here in 1958 and stayed until they finally carried him out in an ambulance last month.  Less than a month later, he died at the age of 91.  It's a great read.

* * * *

People should be able to marry whoever they want, assuming the other person is of age and sound mind.  Same-sex, opposite-sex, whatever.  But the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals blew it this week.  They should not have lifted their stay in the Prop 8 case until the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in that matter was finalized.  That takes at least 25 days from the date the court's decision is announced.  Now, because the 9th Circuit listened to the pleas of CA Attorney General Kamala Harris to lift the stay early, opponents of same-sex marriage have some new bullets in their gun.

Will these idiots prevail in this matter?  Ultimately, no.  But they may well win a Pyrrhic victory if they can invalidate all the marriages that were performed after the stay was lifted prematurely, forcing these couples to have to get married a second time.

The reason for the 25 day delay is primarily to allow the losing side to present a petition for a re-hearing in the case.  Such petitions are almost never granted, but there is a process for a reason.

Hopefully the Supreme Court will give the 9th Circuit a pass on this.

* * * *

Today is the last day the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium will be in operation.  While no plans have been made yet to tear it down, and there is an effort to try to save the building; it appears its days are numbered.

I'm not going to list all of the concerts I saw here, or during how many such concerts I was working in the parking lot of the bowling alley across the street.  Back in the day, the owners of that bowling alley would pay me to stand in the parking lot and make sure concert-goers didn't park there.  They didn't want bowlers coming to bowl and being unable to find parking.

I hope the building can be saved.

* * * *

This Date In History:

On this date in 1520, Spanish conquistadors led by Hernan Cortes fought their way out of Tenochtitlan.
On this date in 1559, King Henry II of France is mortally wounded in a jousting match (didn't his opponent watch "A Knight's Tale" and learn you don't kill the monarch?)
On this date in 1859, Charles Blondin crosses Niagara Falls on a tightrope.
On this date in 1882, Charles J. Guiteau is hanged in Washington, D.C. for having assassinated President James Garfield.
On this date in 1917, Greece declares war on the Central Powers.
On this date in 1921, President Warren G. Harding appoints former President Taft to be U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice.
On this date in 1934, the "Night of the Long Knives" takes place in Germany.
On this date in 1937, the first emergency phone number, 999 is introduced in London.
On this date in 1953, the first Corvette rolls off the assembly line in Flint, Michigan.
On this date in 1959, an Air Force F-100 fighter crashes into an elementary school near Kadena Air Base on Okinawa.  11 students and six residents were killed.
On this date in 1969, Nigeria bans aid to Biafra.
On this date in 1971, Ohio ratifies the 26th Amendment, which puts it into effect; lowering the voting age to 18.
On this date in 1985, 39 U.S. hostages from TWA Flight 847 are freed in Beirut after being held for over two weeks.

Famous Folk Born On This Date:

Oswald Pohl
Walter Ulbricht
Harry Shields
Dan Reeves
Susan Hayward
Lena Horne
Ed Yost
Harry Blackstone Jr.
Nancy Dussault
Tony Musante
Florence Ballard
Terry Funk
Ron Swoboda
David Alan Grier
Esa-Pekka Salonen
Mark Waters
Mike Tyson (I think he's had an earful about ear biting)
Monica Potter
Chan-ho Park
Fantasia Borrino
Cody Rhodes

Movie quotes for the day come from "Miss Congeniality" in honor of having laughed out loud today at "The Heat":

[to models refusing pizza and beer]
Gracie Hart: It's lite beer, and she's gonna throw it up anyway.

#2

Stan Fields: Miss Rhode Island, please describe your idea of a perfect date.
Cheryl "Rhode Island": That's a tough one. I'd have to say April 25th. Because it's not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket.
(Miss Utah topped that at the 2013 Miss USA pageant)

#3

Kathy Morningside: Of course he had a gun. This is Texas, everybody has a gun. My florist has a gun!
Stan Fields: I don't have a gun. My ancestors were Quakers.

#4

Victor Melling: Why is New Jersey called "The Garden State"?
Gracie Hart: Because it's too hard to fit"Oil and Petrochemical Refinery State" on a license plate?