Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Another list of things long gone - Part II

During my senior year at Samohi I moved from my mother's apartment in Santa Monica to my father's apartment in West Hollywood.  It meant more privacy and privileges and I was tired of being a "caretaker" to my younger siblings.  It also introduced me to a restaurant that I spent many mornings at before school.

Some people think I'm a creature of habit, routine and patterns.  My late father makes me look like a wildly disorganized person in comparison.  While his company's offices were on N. Westmount Drive in West Hollywood, he would eat breakfast every weekday morning (and many weekend mornings as well) at an upscale place called "Nibblers" in Beverly Hills.  It was a nice place in the ground floor of an office building on Wilshire.  He would pay for breakfast as long as I showed up before he left.  Then I could stay after he was gone to finish whatever I had ordered.  He said I could order anything I wanted (I was once tempted to order a New York Steak and Eggs, but never summoned the guts).  In 2006 I took a job in that very same office building and was hoping to once again eat at Nibblers.  Sadly it had closed.  Something else is there now.

Not far from there is a weird intersection where Melrose crosses La Cienega and there is a third street going off to the side on the Southeast corner.  That was once the home of The Melting Pot, a great place that served "nontraditional" type cuisine, some organic and some just done in a very new age way.  It was always delicious and the service was always fantastic.

I never had the chili at Chasen's but I did eat there a couple of times.  Only when dad was footing the bill, it wasn't something within my usual price range during high school or while I was in the military.  I wasn't star-struck by the location and its decor but it was very interesting and they had a pretty good steak.

At the "mouth" of the Santa Monica 3rd Street Promenade, where Broadway crosses 3rd, there were two great restaurants I frequented during the 1990s.  I took a lot of first dates to the Broadway Bar and Grill on the West side of the Promenade.  Great food, decent service and a heated patio that was usable even on the coldest of date nights for ambience.

Across the "street" was the Broadway Deli.  A bit pricey but excellent deli fare.  Often visited post-movie for a late supper to discuss the film.

I went once to Killer Shrimp on Washington Boulevard, not far from the Venice Pier.  I'm sure the food was great for most, but I was not aware that everything was well "spiced" and I happen to be more than mildly allergic to many forms of pepper and at least mildly allergic to all of them.  I had the shrimp with angel hair pasta and it was burning my throat and nose after the first couple of bites.  I gamely finished my dinner and then excused myself for a trip to the ER for some antihistamines.

During the two or three months my 2nd wife and I lived in Santa Monica with my former step-sister, we would often go to the Sizzler on Wilshire between 20th and 21st.  I mention it only because I drove by one day and found it was closed.  I'd never seen a Sizzler close before.  I've since seen a few others.  One was in Manhattan Beach, also a favorite of the 2nd wife's.  It was an Italian place for awhile and I think it now houses a second location for Versailles.  There was also one in the Marina del Rey area that's long gone.

Speaking of chains, there was a Pup N' Taco on Santa Monica, between 16th and 17th for years.  It was sold to Taco Bell in 1984 and was soon gone.  It was a great place to go when sneaking off-campus at lunch at Lincoln Jr. High (much easier in those pre-fence days) to grab a quick dog and rush back to class to avoid a tardy.

There used to be a Jolly Roger restaurant at 707 N. Sepulveda Boulevard.  The ex and I went there occasionally after moving to El Segundo and it was good.  Then it closed and would eventually become one of my all-time favorite restaurants in the L.A. area or anywhere.  The Stick and Stein was my second home from 1994 or 1995 until I got sick in 2010.  It closed in 2011.  By the way, if you happen across a first person account written by the location's former magician, he decided to change my name to "Eddie".  I was the one who sat in the counter seat closest to the television and yes, I would be a bit huffy if someone was sitting in "my" seat.  But I never asked anyone to actually leave.  I did on occasion ask a person how much longer they would be staying.  If they were going to be there for an extended period, I'd sit elsewhere.  Often, when my seat was in use, the wonderful staff would seat me in an otherwise closed room, give me the remote for the big TV in there and check on me regularly.  I never met a person who worked there who didn't give good service.  Some of the former employees now work at another El Segundo Sports Bar/Restaurant.  I just don't get down that way much.  Oh, and in spite of what the first person piece author wrote, I didn't have a series of heart attacks.  At least not yet (fingers crossed).

Anthony's was an Italian place on Main Street in El Segundo that's now home to a Gene Simmons-owned place.  Back then it was known for the outdoor patio and the live music that would be played there on Friday and Saturday nights.  The food was only okay and same for the service.  But it was fun to go there and eat, and listen to the bands.

Last restaurant for this segment was also in El Segundo.  In fact it was next door to The Stick and Stein and George, owner of the Stick used to get incensed if anyone would park in his lot and then go eat at Woody's.  Woody's was a tiny little place but I ate there on occasion and it also served one other very useful purpose.  Until a Carl's Junior was built across the side street to the South of the Stick, the men's room at Woody's had the only men's room within walking distance that had a stall.  The crowds at the Stick were far too outsized to have a men's room with only one stall and two urinals.  The line would often be out the door and down the hall during major sporting events.  On Superbowl Sunday, you would go at home and try to sneak in when the action stops for just a moment.  Or run over to Woody's.