Thursday, February 28, 2013

Long days

I knew today would be rough.  Part of the reason it was so bad it that I just can't say no, when I should say no.  I said yes to scheduling a client after my doctor's appointment, meaning I had to go back to the office after I'd already put in five hours (which should be the maximum I work on any day).  I said yes to adding a second client in the late afternoon.  I said yes to helping someone fill out their FAFSA. 

The first five hours were busy, productive and I was able to help my clients a lot.  I love a day when I am able to do things to help clients.  It's the best part of doing this work.  Then I went to the VA to get the preliminary testing done for the big procedure next Thursday.  That's a whole story in and of itself.

Then back to the office.  I don't talk about clients and what happens with them in the office, but it was a long late afternoon.  The second client cancelled.  I went to help the person with their FAFSA but she didn't show up.  I waited 35 minutes and then left.  She called a little while later, apologizing for running late.  I tried to steer her elsewhere for help, but then I gave in and agreed to meet with her in the morning.  I shoulda just said "no".

The cardiologist I met with today was new to me, but he was really good and really thorough.  First he explained that the catheter has to be inserted either at the top of the leg, or through the wrist.  Then he checked to see if I have two good pulses in my wrists.  I have two good ones in my left wrist, but not in my right wrist.  That wasn't good news.  In fact, it's a little bit upsetting.

He described the procedure in detail.  Then he outlined the risks.  Based on what he told me, here are some numbers.

1 out of every 100,000 people who have this test will not make it off the table.
1 out of every 10,000 people who have this test will suffer a heart attack.
1 out of every 4 people who have this test are at risk of suffering reversible damage to their kidneys (that was really disquieting).

I knew most of this already, without the specific numbers.  It's a no-brainer.  Get the test.  Better to find out what, if anything, is wrong.  Maybe I'll need a bypass (another 1 in 100,000 shot).  Maybe I'll need a stent (too many variables to calculate accurately).  Maybe they just need to work on meds, and I need to work on diet/exercise more.  We will know in a week.  I'm nervous, but determined.

Tomorrow I'm going to play trivia with friends, see a movie and enjoy myself after I do this FAFSA thing.  Saturday is a day of almost complete rest.  I probably won't even see a movie.

Time for some shorter days.