Friday, January 25, 2013

Today involved a limited exposure...

to la dolce vita that the 'rich folk' get to live on a regular basis.  I was at an event at the Beverly Hills Four Seasons.  They served breakfast to the attendees and it looked outstanding (I wasn't aware there was food and I'd already eaten).  Elegant.  Upscale.  The people were better dressed throughout the hotel.  Even the valet attendants were spiffy.

I had to visit the men's room while there and it was as good or better than any I've seen in any hotel anywhere.

I used to be able to spend limited amounts of time in that world.  There was a time when my dad was one of what we now refer to as the "one percent" and when I was with him I got to spend time in that world.  Where the dishes get bussed within mere seconds of the diner finishing their meal.  Where the water glass is re-filled before it gets to even half-empty.  Where there are always fresh paper towels near the sink.  No graffitti.  No bad odors.

I know money can't buy happiness.  But I am still of the mind that it can make misery a hell of a lot more bearable.

I also got to watch people being "handled" by their "handlers".  Even with the fame and fortune that accompanies reaching that pinnacle of success, I don't think I'd like being 'handled'.  Living a life where every moment is so critical that you can't stop to shake someone's hand or sign an autograph because it will put you two minutes behind an incredibly tight schedule of interviews is probably not fun.  It sure didn't seem fun to watch.