Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Waking up and finding that I needed...

to sit down and write an obituary for the tremendously talented actor Charles Durning is not how I wanted to start Christmas Day.  He was a hero during WWII who became an amazing character actor and he will be greatly missed.  RIP.

I can't get the song lyric, "and so this is Christmas" out of my head this morning.  This is a holiday that never had much meaning for me, except of course that it meant my mother wasn't working.  While I was in school it was just another day during the winter break.  After I went out into the world as an adult, it became a day where those of us in town would gather at Mom's house and spend a few hours together.  Mom always has a tree, even though we aren't Christians.

I haven't been to anyone's home on Christmas in years.  Until Christmas of 2010, I'd always do the same thing on this day.  See a movie and then eat at one of the restaurants around that's open 24/7 and doesn't close on Christmas.  Today I am going to see a movie although I plan to eat here at home.  I'll try to do some writing and I may watch some stuff on streaming video.  I won't see or talk to my family, except of course for Mom.  I'll call her.

I'm being petulant today.  I called my siblings on Thanksgiving and they never called back.  So if they want to talk today they can call me.  Otherwise, it will be like last year.  No one calls anyone.  I've tried reaching out without success and while I will try again in the future, I don't feel like trying today.

Actually I plan to do a little studying today as well.  It should be quiet and I can read through an online course manual.

Things I'm pondering today begin with a story that really made me sit up and take notice yesterday.  There was a non-profit that was passing out $25 gift cards at a supermarket in an economically depressed area.  One man was being interviewed about his reaction to getting this gift card and he was ecstatic.  It will be his family's first Christmas in their car and thanks to someone's generosity they were able to buy their child an eight dollar toy as a Christmas gift, and enjoy a decent meal.  That one really makes you think about how good your own life is, in comparison.  It did for me.

I am pondering where the family members are of some of the residents this week.  Yesterday was the big meal to celebrate today's holiday and there were almost no family members visiting.  Are they too busy with their own lives to go see their parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles/whatevers?  Are they just warehousing their loved ones here until their time comes?

I'm wondering why Governor Moonbeam got generous with pardons on Christmas Eve.  He gave out 79 of them.

Is it wrong to enjoy watching a movie because someone you were once close to gets shot in it?  If so, I guess I'm wrong, because I love that movie and seeing that woman get shot is one of the reasons I love it.  I'm not angry with her and we remain friends...but I love that scene.

This Date in History:

On this date in 800, Charlemange is crowned as Holy Roman Emperor.
On this date in 1066, William the Conqueror is crowned King of England.
On this date in 1100, Baldwin of Boulogne is crowned first King of Jerusalem.
On this date in 1130, Roger II is crowned King of Sicily.
On this date in 1776, General George Washington and his army crosses the Delaware.
On this date in 1868, President Andrew Johnson pardons all soldiers who fought for the Confederacy.
On this date in 1941, Admiral Nimitz arrives at Pearl Harbor to assume command of the Pacific fleet.
On this date in 1991, Mikhail Gorbachev resigned as president of the Soviet Union.