Monday, November 26, 2012

Ever had one of those days where you...

feel really, really dumb?  I had one yesterday.

First, I was having a problem with my laptop and I needed to reboot it.  So I was closing all of my open Word documents (I usually have several of them open, so I can jump back and forth between things I'm working on as ideas hit) and when prompted whether or not to save a file, I hit the "don't save button" and didn't realize it.  Once I did that it was too late to recover the 4,000 plus words I'd written in that file.  Now I have to re-write all of it.

Then I went to the market to buy some juice and figured while I was there I'd stock up on soda (yes, I am trying to drink less each week) because it's still on sale.  I was down to the last bottle in my room so I would have gone in a day or two to get some anyway.  But when I opened the trunk to load the groceries in, I found that there were still four bottles there from my last trip to the market.  I'd had too much to carry and I can't handle as many grocery bags since my hospitalization.  So now I'm stocked up for quite a while.  But it felt dumb.  I felt dumb.

I also watched my first movie on VOD on my television.  That's a luxury I could learn to abuse and so I plan to do it only very sparingly.  But I was glad I did.  The movie, "Price Check" was excellent and as a big fan of Parker Posey, it was good to see her in a role where she could show off her considerable acting talents.

Tonight I may end up flying solo at the regular Monday trivia game, as my usual teammate is busy elsewhere.  Normally I'd be tempted to just skip it, but we're working toward the goal of qualifying for a tournament in February where there is $2,000 in prize money.  So while I've tried to get someone else to join me, if all else fails, I'll go get whatever points I can garner on my own.  Besides, it's a free meal with the "bar scrip" we won last week. :)

I was tempted for about 90 seconds to spend the day driving to Arizona to buy a Powerball ticket.  I wouldn't mind spending $10 to buy five of their $2 tickets.  But I mind spending a full tank of gas and 8 to 12 hours of my time.  Especially with the odds of winning that huge jackpot somewhere between the odds of being struck twice by lightning and the odds of Mitt Romney winning the Presidency on a recount.  So I will settle for buying two Mega-Millions tickets for Tuesday's $49 million jackpot rather than one and save 12 hours.

Today in History:

On this date in 1778, Captain James Cook became the first European to visit Maui.  My mother, who goes there regularly, is very grateful to him.
On this date in 1789, a national Thanksgiving Day is observed in the United States as approved by Congress.
On this date in 1842, the University of Notre Dame is founded, giving us Notre Dame haters an object to loathe.
On this date in 1917, the National Hockey League is formed.
On this date in 1950, the Chinese launched a major counter-attack on the Korean peninsula, ending all hope of a quick resolution to the conflict.
On this date in 1968, James P. Fleming, a U.S. Army helicopter pilot rescues a Special Forces unit pinned down by Viet Cong fire, and he is later awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroism.
On this date in 2003, the Concorde makes its final flight.