Sunday, September 30, 2012

There's a poem with a quote about best-laid plans that I won't...

repeat since I'm sure you already know it.  But the last two days have been a litany of  plans going astray or nearly so.

Friday I had an interview to do right after tax class ended.  He called right on time too, not early as I was afraid of.  But the horrible instructor who was substitute-teaching our class ran well over the time and she wasn't happy that I ducked out early.  This in spite of the effect that she'd snapped at me earlier not to answer any more questions, so the other students could look it up.  When three or four minutes have passed and they can't find the answer to a question she's phrased poorly, I spoke up and she slapped me down for it.  If I go to the class on Monday when she subs again, I'm not going to say a word.  I'm just going to list all the shit she gets wrong or is unclear on, and give the list to the regular instructor on Wednesday.

My interview ran a little long, and so I didn't see all of the trailers for the movie I went to after the class.  One of my pet peeves is missing trailers at a movie.  I love movie trailers, especially ones I haven't seen before.

Friday I was to meet two friends to play "Buzztime" trivia and the location changed at the last minute.  Okay, adjust plans, get directions and go to other location.  No problem.  But when we arrived, Buzztime wasn't working.  So we hurried and went back to the other location.  Again, no problem.  Except this is a bar that doesn't serve food and since I missed lunch to get to the movie, I was hungry.  But I didn't give in to the temptation to eat their snack crap like chips, cashews and the like that were reasonably priced but not a good meal.  I finally got a sandwich on the way home at 9.  A bit late to eat dinner.

Saturday of course was parkinglotmageddon here.  I went out at 8:55 to put quarters in the meter and they were sealing the entire lot and street.  There were cars at almost every meter on both sides of the street and I was worried that when I got back from the movie I was going to, there would be nowhere to park.  That fear was groundless.

After the movies (plural), I wanted to go to the used book store.  I'd missed the start time of the earliest show and as a result, I was worried that I might have missed the store's operating hours, but took a chance and went there anyway.  They'd closed at 4 and I was out of luck.  I've read all of the used books I've bought the last two trips.

Then I got home and the two DVDs I was expecting to have arrived weren't in my mailbox.  I looked around the office and discovered that the mail was sitting, unsorted on the floor.  I had to raise a fuss to get my DVDs. 

The doctor changed my meds on Wednesday and as a result, another med I take has to be changed.  They were supposed to send written instructions on the second change and they promised they would arrive before the new medicine.  The new medicine arrived yesterday, without the written instructions.  So now I either have to toss the extra doses of the other med, or try to get them to give me the proper amount of pills without written instructions.  Good luck with that.

Yesterday, Lisa Ann Walter of KFI was talking about food stamps and that woman who got dissed at Kroger's by a manager over the fact that he worked for a living.  She was saying that she will give the "benefit of the doubt" to people who show up at grocery stores with new, expensive cars, and use food stamps.  So I checked.  Imagine my surprise when I learned that a car is not counted as an asset in the determination of whether or not someone can qualify for food stamps.  Hey, a family driving a five year old, paid for car shouldn't have that counted against them in the qualification process.  But someone who just paid cash for a $40,000 SUV goes from ineligible to eligible in an instant.  There's something wrong with that equation.

I like watching eating contests on TV.  The hot dog eating contest every July 4th is a must-see, even if we know Joey Chestnut is going to defend his title. And as long as they don't involve really spicy foods, or foods I don't like, I like to imagine myself eating the food. But there was a bacon eating contest recently in Kansas City that I can't see myself taking part in.  I love bacon, but three or four slices max.  After that, it's just too fatty and too salty.  The winner ate 1.9 pounds of bacon in five minutes.  If you just threw up in your mouth, my apologies.

If I were ever in Amarillo, I might try the big Texan 72 oz steak challenge, but I already know I couldn't eat it in an hour, which is the time limit.  Maybe I'll just have their 12 ounce New York strip.  Or the 16 ounce. Maybe the 20 ounce.