Saturday, May 25, 2013

Saturday schedule

I had plans to see a movie today.  Actually I had plans to see two, but the showtimes didn't make that a possibility.  But since I was out too late, up too late watching TV and did not sleep well, I'm passing on a movie today.  For now.  If I feel less fatigued later, maybe I will change my mind.  But since I have two screeners to watch, I'll get at least one of those done today.  I will go see "Before Midnight" tomorrow morning, "Fast and Furious 6" on Monday and then take Tuesday off since I have advance screenings to go to on Wednesday and Thursday.  There are three more films opening next weekend that I want to see ("After Earth" is not one of them).  Staying home today also makes it much more likely that I will get to those two half-finished film reviews.  I do have a few errands to run, so I will get out of here at some point today.

Thanks to the three members of Good Day L.A., my favorite morning news program who gave me a follow-back on Twitter.  It made my day.  They do a great job of news gathering and providing just the right amount of insightful commentary without overstepping the line between journalist and commentator.  While my old news team was close to awesome, I can easily imagine working with these folks, they are very good at what they do.  That I spend a good deal of every weekday morning watching them says I think highly of their news coverage.

Saw a photo of Goldie Hawn looking gorgeous at a benefit at Cannes.  I still remember the day when I was hard at work in my office and turned to see her in the doorway, knocking on my door.  I'd found someone's car in my reserved space and had blocked that car in.  She apologized profusely and asked if I could find a moment to let her out as she had to go to a meeting.  I couldn't say no, as I would have done if it were a student (students who parked in my space had to wait until a few minutes after class had let out before I would "free" them).  In her case, 67 is just a number.

Dr. Dre is taking flak for choosing to donate $35 million in collaboration with Jimmy Iovine to create a new program at USC.  Some are saying he should have given the money to a historically black college or university where it would have been a "transformative" gift.  I'm always amazed at how people are so free with how they feel the money of others should be spent.  Walter Kimbrough is president of Dillard University, one of the HBCUs (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) and he criticized Dr. Dre's choice.  Interesting, since Mr. Kimbrough's entire college education was done at schools and universities that were not HBCUs.  Undergrad, Master and Doctorate all done at public universities.  Support of education is what's important.  The program that Dre and Iovine are creating will be transformative in the lives of those students who will benefit from it.  Their generosity should be lauded, not taken to task.

President Obama forgot to salue the Marine guard on duty at the entrance to his helicopter, Marine One.  As soon as he became aware of his faux pas, he went back down the steps, shook the Marine's hand and spoke to him privately for a moment.  I'm sure that in this life of that Marine, the President speaking to him directly and shaking his hand will be a lot more memorable than just having his salute returned.  The people making a big deal of this are off-base.  Clinton and Bush both forgot to salute at least once.  Heck, IIRC, Bush once didn't put his hand over his heart when he should have, to salute our flag.  Obama meant no disrespect.  He was preoccupied with a major speech he was about to deliver.  I'm not a big Obama defender, but on this one he deserves a pass.

Memorial Day weekend has begun.  So I'm going to use my blog over the next three days to pay tribute and honor some of our fallen whose names are mostly lost to history.  Today we salute the following fallen servicemembers:

Air Force

Major Richard L. Bakke
Major Harold L. Lewis Jr.
TSgt Joel C. Mayo
Major Lyn D. McIntosh
Captain Charles T. McMillian

Marine Corps

Sgt John D. Harvey
Cpl George N. Holmes Jr.
SSgt Dewey L. Johnson

All eight of them died at "Desert One" a staging point in the Iranian desert when there was an accident in the middle of aborting the mission to rescue the American hostages taken when the U.S. Embassy in Tehran was overrun.  The mission failed because of a combination of really bad planning and interservice rivalries, and as a result these eight men lost their lives.

36 years ago today, I was a bad person.  I cut school.  I didn't go to class because I had to stand in line to see a movie.  "Star Wars" opened on this date 36 years ago and I was there.  I saw it at least 25 more times before the end of that year.  My dad and I were in Victoria, BC and we saw it there (he didn't like it).  I saw it that year in California, Mississippi and Florida.  It is no longer my favorite film, but it is still an amazing achievement.  Kudos to George Lucas on this, the real Star Wars Day.  Oh, BTW, I got someone to forge a note from my parent to excuse my absence.  Given the opportunity, I'd do exactly the same thing so I bear no guilt.

Laws based on age are absolute and arbitrary.  That's a given.  But is the case of Kaitlyn Hunt, who is being charged with two counts of lewd and lascivious battery on her girlfriend, who is 14; a gay rights issue?  I don't think so.  Any parent whose underage child is having sex with another child who has just turned 18 can and often do file a complaint with the police.  I was smart enough to know that once I was 18, I could and would go to prison if I had sex with a minor girl.  I continued to date high school girls for another year or so thereafter, but I didn't put myself in risk of going to prison.  Just not worth the risk.

The father of Katilyn Hunt argues that his daughter has done nothing wrong because the sex was consensual.  Sorry Mr. Hunt, but the age of consent in Florida is 18.  There is an exception for an adult of 23 years or younger having sex with a minor who is at least 16, but that's not the case here.  So consent is not an issue here.

The smart play here is for the two girls to end their relationship until the younger girl is of age.  Work out a plea deal to a misdemeanor charge.  The younger girl's parents need to back off and support their daughter being a lesbian since that is who and what she appears to be.  But that probably won't happen.

This Date in History:

On this date in 240BC, the first recorded perihelion passage of Halley's Comet.
On this date in 1085, Alfonso of Castile takes Toledo, Spain back from the Moors.
On this date in 1659, Richard Cromwell resigns as Lord Protector of England.
On this date in 1865, an ordnance depot in Mobile, AL explodes, killing 300 people.
On this date in 1925, John Scopes is indicted for teaching Darwin's theory of evolution, in Tennessee.
On this date in 1935, Jesse Owens sets three world records at the Big Ten Track and Field Championships.
On this date in 1953, the U.S. conducts their first and only test of nuclear artillery.
On this date in 1962, JFK tells Congress the U.S. will put a man on the moon before the end of the decade.
On this date in 1968, the St. Louis Gateway Arch is dedicated.
On this date in 1977, the Chinese government ends a ban on the works of Shakespeare.
On this date in 1986, Hands Across America takes place.

Famous Folk Born on this Date:

Ralph Waldo Emerson (still waiting to see someone build a better mousetrap)
John Mott
Bill "Bojangles" Robinson
Gene Tunney
Hal David
Robert Ludlum
Beverly Sills
Irwin Winkler
Raymond Carver
Dixie Carter
Ian McKellan
Jessi Colter
Leslie Uggams
Frank Oz
Bob Gale
Stan Sakai
Paul Weller
Mike Myers
Anne Heche
Octavia Spencer
Alberto Del Rio (for those of you who are WWE fans... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pv03f6m87o)

Movie Quote of the Day and all weekend will be from well-known war films.  Today's is from 1979's "Apocalypse Now":

[while flying in a helicopter with Air Cavalry soldiers]
Chef: Why do all you guys sit on your helmets?
Soldier: So we don't get our balls blown off.

#2

Chief Quartermaster (QMC) Phillips: My orders say I'm not supposed to know where I'm taking this boat, so I don't! But one look at you, and I know it's gonna be hot!
Willard: I'm going 75 klicks above the Do Lung bridge.
Chief Quartermaster (QMC) Phillips: That's Cambodia, captain.
Willard: That's classified.