Friday, November 27, 2020

The Problem With Do As I Say Not As I Do

Michael Hancock is the Mayor of Denver.  He is under fire for his decision to fly to Alabama for the Thanksgiving holiday.  His wife and daughter are there.  Funny thing is, he left Denver AFTER telling the residents they should NOT travel for the holiday during a "Mornings With the Mayor" segment on local television.

He isn't the only politician in hot water recently for "do as I say, not as I do" behavior.  New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that two of his three daughters and his 86 year old mother would be joining him for Thanksgiving.  The criticism was immediate and widespread.  Soon after, one of his senior advisors then said the governor's plans had changed and he would be working through the holiday.

One might think that they'd have taken a hint from the blowback faced by Governor Gavin Newsom after the public learned of his presence at a dinner party to celebrate the birthday of Jason Kinney.  Kinney is a close advisor to Governor Newsom as well as a registered lobbyist.  Here is an excerpt from his so-called "apology"

“As soon as I sat down at the larger table I realized it was a little larger group than I had anticipated and I made a bad mistake,  Instead of sitting down, I should have stood up and walked back, got in my car and drove back to my house.”

As if the governor ever drives himself.  He is driven by a driver who serves him, in addition to his 20 person CHP security detail.  Newsom also said:

“I want to apologize to you because I need to preach and practice, not just preach and not practice, and I’ve done my best to do that,” Newsom said. “We’re all human. We all fall short sometimes.”

* * *

We are all human.  We all make errors.  But leadership is about setting the example, not just the rules.  These elected officials deserve the firestorm of controversy they created by telling the rest of us to do one thing and then doing the exact opposite.  As though the rules do not apply to them.  As though they are special or elite.

Take note of how President-Elect Biden and his wife spent their Thanksgiving holiday.  Instead of encouraging families to gather as Trump did, they talked about why it is important that we do not host large gatherings.  

That is leadership.  Setting the example.  Setting the tone.

We need leaders.  Not grifters.