Saturday, July 15, 2017

End of the week Ponderings

Thursday was interesting.  Had a few minutes to kill because I missed the first showing of Spierman: Homecoming so I went for a bit of a drive.  Drove past the Century Plaza Hotel construction site.  They are renovating the hotel and will reduce its room count from nearly 800 to less than 400, and hope to earn a 5-star rating with the renovations. 

Back in 1967, LAPD dealt with a very large protest against the Vietnam War when then president Lyndon B. Johnson was at the hotel.  I was still very young when it happened, but my memory of that was shaped by how Joseph Wambaugh wrote about it in his early novels.  In The Blue Knight, the title character, William "Bumper" Morgan talked at one point about getting "stick time" at the protest.  Stick time of course referring to officers using their nightsticks to beat protesters. 

Until 2004, the ABC Entertainment Center was located on the other side of Avenue of the Stars from the Century Plaza.


Back in 1977, to give me a proper send-off to Air Force basic training the next day, my dad took me to see "A Chorus Line" at that ABC Entertainment Center's Schubert Theater.  The following morning began my decade long adventure in military service.  That next day was an adventure all on its own, as related here.

I also drove by the Intercontinental Hotel, which was once the J. W. Marriott Hotel, further south on Avenue of the Stars.  I had a memorable breakfast with my dad there.  While he didn't rend his clothing, just before I walked out, he told me I was dead to him.  I won't detail the reasons although they involved my refusal to do something my lawyer had told me was illegal, for him.  We didn't speak for seven years.  Fortunately, we reconciled and were close when he passed. 

Eventually I got to the AMC theater to see Spider-Man: Homecoming. 

* * *

After the movie I had two items on my agenda.  One was to get an oil change for my car.  The other was to pick up some food and a couple of things at 7-11.  As I headed over there I pondered which to do first and decided getting the oil changed first would cut down on the wait at the restaurant.  So I went first to the 15 minute oil change place.

It took 45 minutes because they were busy.  I had my food and was putting it in the trunk before walking into the 7-11 when I witnessed an auto versus motorcycle accident.  The car was in the right lane of traffic and about to turn into the shopping center parking lot when the motorcycle attempted to pass on the right.  The man driving the motorcycle and his girlfriend passenger received some minor injuries and the bike had minor damage.  I tried to calm the woman down as she screamed at the driver and passenger of the car, and she took offense at that.  "I don't know you, don't try to calm me down."

No good deed goes unpunished, right?

* * *

I was planning to see another movie Friday morning but since I was intent on going to Huntington Beach to play trivia with friends, I pushed it off until Sunday.  Saturday is going to be a day of full rest and relaxtion.

I might go into the office on Sunday after the movie, as I am way behind.  My manager keeps handing me more to do.  I now have a full calendar on Monday and still have six other tax returns to do.  July isn't supposed to be this busy.

* * *

Was it wrong for a teen to blast the song "F**k tha Police" from his apartment window as the funeral for a slain NYPD officer took place nearby?  Whether you say yes or no, it's an opinion.  Mine is that it is extremely disrespectful, protected freedom of expression.

The superintendent of the building promptly ordered the tenant that the teen and his older sister were staying with to get rid of them.  The tenant complied immediately.  Is that a violation of the teen's freedom of expression?  No. 

* * *

I'm fine with Speaker of the House Paul Ryan working to change the dress code within the Capitol Building.  I was fine with the enforcement of the dress code as it was.

Rules are rules.  If they don't work, change the rules.

* * *

Debra Tate says that Jennifer Lawrence is not "beautiful" enough to portray Sharon Tate, the actress who was murdered in 1969 by members of the Manson Family.  Quentin Tarantino is reportedly putting together a film and J-Law is rumored to be in the casting mix to portray Sharon Tate.

Debra Tate says she would prefer to see Margot Robbie in the role instead.  No offense intended to Debra Tate, who has been through a lot in her life; but casting decisions are best left to casting directors, producers and film directors.  QT is very particular about who he casts in his films and given his track record, I would trust his judgment over the sister of the real-life person being portrayed in a bio-pic.

* * *

A man committed suicide by jumping from an airplane intent on not pulling the ripcord.  He left a video behind for his wife, explaining what he planned.  She tried to get through to the plane's pilot to warn them not to let him jump, but she was too late.

This is an excerpt from the newspaper article on this incident:

"The United States Parachute Association of which Skydive Deland is a member, reported 21 fatalities related to skydiving in 2016 out of 3.2 million estimated jumps by its members." 

Factual.  Necessary?  I leave that to you.

* * *

Alfred Angelo sells bridal gowns at 60 signature stores in the U.S. and at over 1,300 other stores around the world.  Or it did until Friday.  That's when they shut down and filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection.

Patricia Redmond, an attorney who is representing the company in their bankruptcy proceeding was interviewed by the local all-news radio station on Friday and I listened to the interview.  She said that brides who had paid in full for their dresses will probably get them, although she would offer no guarantees.

Those who have paid only deposits may get partial refunds.  But given that they are in 7th position among the creditors, they may get little or nothing.

* * *

The tragic crash of a Marine Corps KC-130 in Mississippi that resulted in the deaths of 15 Marines and a Navy corpsman involved members of the unit known as MASROC (United States Marine Corps Special Operations Command.  MASROC was formed in 2005 and "stood up" (began operating) the following year.

The detachment of Marines to the United States Special Operations Command (SOCOM) was a controversial issue for almost two decades.  The Marine Corps felt that its Force Recon Marines should be kept in the USMC chain of command.  Only after 9/11 did they begin working to integrate these highly trained operators into the SOCOM structure.

They were en route to a training deployment in Yuma, AZ.

RIP, Marines (the Marines consider their Navy corpsmen part of their units).

* * *

Last thought.  As I write this on a Saturday evening, in Carmel, ID there are over 150 homeless people who have full bellies as they go back to their shelters and wherever else they are spending tonight.  A 25 year old pharmacy student would have been enjoying her wedding reception tonight but for reasons she chose not to disclose, the wedding was called off.  The Ritz-Carlton had been paid a non-refundable fee.

So she contacted shelters and arranged for the homeless to be bussed to the hotel where they will enjoy a meal of  bourbon-glazed meatballs, roasted garlic bruschetta, chicken breast with artichoke and of course, wedding cake.