Friday, December 30, 2016

More celebrity passings in 2016

I think if we were to look at the numbers, 2016 wouldn't be all that different from any other year in the total number of people who we consider to be celebrities, passing away.  What has made this year different is that there are more people who we consider not just celebs, but true cultural icons.

Now Carrie Fisher has died, felled by an apparent heart attack at only 60 years of age.  When you live as I do, with Congestive Heart Failure (CHF), it's a reminder of how fragile my own existence is.  I was really pleased by the report on Christmas Day that she was in stable condition and had been moved to the Intensive Care Unit.

To hear that her mother, Debbie Reynolds had died the next day just made Carrie's passing worse.  We won't know for awhile, if ever, if she died of a stroke or from what is often referred to as "Broken Heart Syndrome."

David Bowie, Prince and so many others gone all too soon.  Hopefully the year can finish up with no more bad news like this.

* * *

I have to apologize for neglecting my blog for the past week or so.  Between Wednesday and Monday I saw seven movies currently in theaters (the links are to my reviews of these films):

Passengers
Office Christmas Party
Patriots Day
Assassin's Creed
Fences
Hidden Figures
Live by Night

I also wrote other pieces about gangster movies, movies spawned from video games and sadly, an article on the passing of Carrie Fisher.

What's great about all of this movie viewing is that until recently I've usually found reasons to not go and see movies I wanted to see.  I've been more tired than usual of late and I have just been talking myself into staying home and resting.

Given that my workload will be the heaviest it has been since I awoke from my nine-week coma in 2010 after the first of the year, I am taking heart that this past week of movie going will continue in the same manner.

* * *

Some of my friends wonder why I watch Jerry Springer on a semi-regular basis.  Something I saw on today's episode may help.  After his infidelity had been exposed and his now ex-girlfriend had left the stage. this guy followed her into the restroom. She told him to get out and he responded by saying that she'd left before he could ask her a question.  He pulled out a ring and handed it to her, proposing marriage.

She took the ring from the box, threw it into the toilet, used her foot to flush the toilet and stormed out.  Now that is entertainment!!

It's clearly a crap program (pun intended) but this particular crap provides plenty of laughs.

* * *

I won't go into all of my resolutions for 2017 but one I will share is that I want to post something in this blog daily.  Feel free to organize a pool on how long this resolution will last.