Monday, October 24, 2016

There's something rotten in Choctaw

The Sixth Amendment reads as follows:

"In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence."

Apparently the federal judicial system believes that 96 days in jail without access to an attorney is not a violation of someone's rights as articulated above.   At least that appears to be the situation in the case of Jessica Jauch.  She was pulled over for a traffic infraction in Choctaw County, Mississippi and spent 96 days in jail.  She was indicted by a grand jury and charged with selling narcotics.  According to an informant, Ms Jauch, a 34 year old mother, offered to sell eight Xanax pills for $40.   Now that's not to say that mothers aren't drug dealers, but when the prosecutor who went before the grand jury to secure the indictment actually looked at the videotape evidence, they learned that in fact Jauch had actually asked to borrow $40.  She had not offered to sell pills or anything else.

96 days in jail without a bail hearing, without access to an attorney.  How does that happen?  It happened because this took place in Mississippi.  A poor state that doesn't want to spend money on public defenders.

There is something seriously wrong with this situation.  Or as Donald Trump might put it, bigly wrong.

* * *

Since I enjoyed the hashtag #TrumpBookReports so much I thought I'd share my favorites and my own entries.  Some of my favorites first:

 
Juliet was only a 4. Nasty Woman. Romeo, big loser. Huuuuge loser. Should've Grabbeth the lady bits. Died instead.



The Wind? Gone! A total disaster. Scarlett O'Hara a 5 at best. And that war? I was against it from the beginning.

Little Women? Should have called it Little Pigs. All of them disgusting, SAD

It was the best of times. Absolutely phenomenal. It was the worst of times. Total disaster.  

Don Quixote was a loser, ok? He couldn't even win against a windmill. Listen, I'll beat all the windmills, believe me.

The first four slaughterhouses were losers. The 5th was tremendous. Huge. The best slaughterhouse.

Look, I don't know Voldemort. He said nice things about me. If we got along with the Death Eaters, wouldn't be so bad.

The Real B Ham @TheRealBHam
The bridges, nobody builds a bridge like me. I'll build one and make Madison County pay for it

My entries in this hashtag:

 
I'd have made the best Shogun ever. Japan would have been great again. That Mariko was only a 5 though. Just look at her.

Cheese? Who gives a damn about cheese. No one moves my cheese without me suing them. Trump cheese is the best!

Afraid to fly? What wimp is afraid to fly. I fly everywhere in my private jet, without fear.

Pi?  Pi is a number. It isn't alive. Only Crooked Hillary could claim a number is alive. 

Reach her?  Reach for her?  I didn't touch her and I don't care what that jerk Jack said I did. He's a liar.  

Michael Corleone is a wimp. Tom Hagen couldn't close a deal the way I can. I'd have made a fortune selling mattresses.

Odysseus was a piker. I've had way more and more bigly adventures than he ever dreamed of. Helen lied about my groping her.

A real God wouldn't have needed 6 days to create Earth. I'd have done it in 3 and brought it in on budget. Eve was a babe.