Saturday, May 21, 2016

Not a bucket list but...

A friend posted a list on Facebook and for whatever reason I decided to take the "challenge" and complete it myself.  Another friend saw my responses and  commented that I'd had a "full life."  Here is the list and my responses but this time with more details:


Ok, I'll play along...

Bucket List - please play along

You'll be surprised at the responses. Put a X if you have done it then just copy and paste to your timeline and amend...

Fired a gun X (my dad took me to the range long before the military trained me to shoot)

Gone on a blind date X (after my second divorce I actually went on more than 100 blind dates in a year)

Skipped school X (way too many times)

Watched someone give birth

Watched someone die X (twice I was performing CPR but the person died)

Visited Canada X (first time when I was 17, just before going to basic training)

Visited Hawaii X (several times while stationed in the Pacific)

Visited Europe

Visited Las Vegas X (my parents took my sister and I when we were very young.  Dad had talked about winning a jackpot on a slot machine on a prior visit so my sister and I each gave him a dollar and he played a roll of nickels until they were all gone.  My mom said the look on our faces when he busted out was priceless)

Visited Asia X (a year in Korea and other places during my military service.  Never as a civilian though)

Visited Africa X (can't be more specific than that)

Visited Florida X (stationed south of Miami from 1977 through 1980)

Visited Mexico X (several trips to TJ)

Visited Australia X (we were on a military base there but not allowed to go off-base)

Seen the Grand Canyon in person X (I made a side trip there in 1980 on my way home from my Florida assignment)

Flown in a helicopter X (the most memorable time was when an Army CH-47 was used to lift some of our Air Force equipment during an exercise in 1985.  We were setting up a microwave relay station on the side of a mountain, 2,000 feet up)

Served on a jury X (Twice. Once for a murder trial and once for a stupid misdemeanor trial.  Was foreman of the jury both times)

Visited L.A. X (hard not to do when you grow up here)

Been to New York City X (was there in 1997 to deliver a presentation at the National Association of Independent Schools' Annual Conference)

Cried yourself to sleep
Recently colored with pencils

Sang karaoke X (used to go every Thursday night to a hotel in Carson to do that)

Paid for a meal with coins only X (when I was a kid, numerous times)

Made prank phone calls X (way too many of those when I was a kid)

Laughed so much you cried X (at a comedy club one night)

Caught Snowflakes on tongue X (first time I ever saw snow I had to do that)

Had children
 
Had a pet X (Scooter being the most memorable, even a decade after I had to let him go)

Been skinny dipping X (only once.  At Tarague Beach which was on the grounds of Anderson Air Base, Guam.  My date and I were there long after closing time and I was more than moderately inebriated)

Repelled down a building/cliff X (a military thing)

Been downhill skiing X (only a couple times when my father owned a condo in Colorado)

Been water skiing X (only once.  it was enough)

Been camping in a tent X (too many times while I was on active duty)

Driven a motorcycle X (on a friend's while on Guam)

Jumped out of a plane

Gone to a drive-in movie X (many times)

Done something that could have killed you X (ate fugu. drove drunk)

Done something that you will regret for the rest of your life X (let my health go)

Rode an elephant X (at a circus)

Rode a camel X (during that Africa thing)

Eaten just cookies or cake or ice cream for dinner X (while I was stationed in Florida)

Been on tv X (appeared on Shop Til You Drop and that wasn't the only time)

Been in newspapers X (a bunch of times during my military career, both as the writer/photographer of an article, and as part of the people being written about)

Stolen any traffic signs X (There were several hanging in my bedroom when I was stationed in Mississippi)

Been in a car accident X (at least four I can remember)

Stayed in Hospital X (spent a year there once)

Donated blood X (not for a long time, but regularly when I was stationed in South Florida)

Paid a fine in the past 12 months

Gotten a piercing X (an ear)

Gotten a Tattoo

Driven a standard car X (I owned a manual transmission car from 1982 through 1988)

Ever owned your dream car

Been Married X (twice and both times it was a mistake)

Been divorced X (twice and both times I'm glad I got divorced)

Fell in love X (way too many times)

Paid for a stranger's meal X (the instance of this I remember best was in South Florida when I saw a homeless person panhandling outside a Lum's and I took him inside and bought him dinner)

Driven over 100mph X (the first time was when the first section of the 118 opened in the San Fernando Valley)

Worked in a pub

Been scuba diving

Found a dead body X (found the body of a friend who had killed himself in a very ugly way)

Lived on your own X (my first place that was mine was when I rented a duplex in Mississippi)

Swam with the Dolphins

Parasailing X (water survival school)

Snorkeling X (while visiting the Bahamas)

Flown over Volcanoes X (a tour in Hawaii)

Visited Alaska X (a deployment for a military exercise)

Visited the Bahamas X (see snorkeling)

Visited Mount Rushmore X (my father took me.  we also visited The Badlands and Custer State Park)

Visited Yellowstone X (dad took me there twice)

Driven A Sled Dog Team

Rode a Horse X (lots of times)

Driven a Horse team

I think there are a lot of things I never did that I would like to.  Maybe I'll list those sometime.