Sunday, November 16, 2014

I love a challenge

Someone I consider a good friend posted this photo on Facebook:


We got into a discussion about the statement accompanying the photo and my friend challenged me to rewrite the message.  So here's my version, which I believe is more compelling and more effective in calling attention to the real issues:

Meet Jamie.  Not the child's real name but we won't embarrass Jamie or the family by what we are about to say.  Jamie is homeless.  The single-parent family is currently in a transitional shelter, but their time in that safe place will end in a month.  Then the family may wind up back on the streets.  A child cannot focus on learning when basic survival needs like food and shelter are overwhelming every day of the week.  We need to invest in our children, who are truly the future, rather than focusing on increasing the rate at which our nation's inequities in wealth and income grow.  Childhood poverty and homelessness in general must end.  Now!

Which version do you like?