Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Made it all the way to 7-11 this morning...

a record distance for my morning walks.  So I gave myself a reward.  Oh, there were so many things I wanted to reward myself with.  A Baby Ruth bar would have been awesome.  So would a chocolate brownie.  Heck, even a grape juice would have been great.  Those who may remember from junior and senior year of high school, I had grape drink and a package of Ding Dongs for breakfast almost every morning.  Someone even mentioned my breakfast of choice when they signed my yearbook.  But, I settled for one extra chance at the Mega-Millions lottery.  Only a dollar, and no calories.  Great reward.

Apparently they aren't finished filming along Washington Boulevard.  Two of the vehicles were still there this morning and so was the uniformed security guard.  But no craft service cart, and so no banana to steal.

The display was back in the window of the adult novelty/lingerie/hooker heels/false eyelash store.  And there were indeed novelties, lingerie, CFM heels and false eyelashes in the display this time.  CFM is an acronym I was taught by a Las Vegas showgirl one night as she visited me while I was on the air doing the FM Jock thing.  When you're doing an overnight shift on the radio and there are probably only 7.4 people listening among 500,000 population, visitors are welcome even though they were a violation of studio policy.  Shoot me an email if you can't figure out what CFM means and you need to know.

There was actually a fifth dentist along my morning route, but I hadn't noticed before, because his office has been closed since I started passing it and only now has the renovations uncovered the sign saying DDS on the side of the building.  Wow, more dentists than nail salons.  What is Culver City coming to?

You have to wonder at the marvel of human ego.  Rick Akin opened his mouth and firmly inserted both feet, way down past the gums, to the middle of his throat, with his commentary on "legitimate rape" and the amazing ability of women's bodies to prevent preganancy when raped.  Apparently he wasn't aware of the 30,000 plus women who get pregnant annually due to rape.  Now he can't let go of his ego to withdraw from the race for the U.S. Senate seat in Missouri.  The irony is that if he withdraws, it will foil the plan of his Democratic opponent.  She spent $2 million during the primary campaign to try to position Akin to win, because she felt he was the easiest potential opponent to defeat.  Now, if he will do the right thing for his party, she will face tougher opposition.

Last night was my third consecutive Monday at Finn McCool's on Main Street in Santa Monica to play their live trivia.  I'd won the game playing solo the last two weeks.  This time I managed to get one of my trivia teammates, the one I've been plying the trivia wars with the longest, to join me.  Thanks to his presence, it was a third straight victory.  He knew several answers that I did not get. 

Tonight I am missing my regular Tuesday night trivia, in order to go to a film screening.

For some odd reason, there was an uptick in the number of very attractive women, and among them, well-dressed women at the pub last night.  There was a young lady sitting next to us, whose jeans were so tight I was afraid they might cut off the circulation in her legs, but she seemed fine when she got up to run answers to the host.  At the bar was a woman whose dress was so short I became convinced that it was either just a blouse and she'd forgotten her skirt, or she was really, really proud of the work she's done in shaping her upper thighs.  Either way, it was quite a sight.

Tomorrow morning may be a bit more challenging.  I want to go beyond 7-11, but I can't buy extra lottery as a reward.  Maybe I'll just not cross the street and keep Washington Blvd between me and the temptations inside 7-11.