Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I went for a walk this morning...

Not just because my doctors keep after me to exercise and control my weight.  Not just because I ate something yet again I shouldn't have last night (yes, one part of it was fried).  Not just because I don't want to buy bigger clothes again.  It's all of that, but mostly it's the realization I don't want to wind up back in ICU.

So I walked further and longer than I have in quite some time.  Now I'm sitting here getting more sweaty by the moment and pondering the things I saw.  A bakery I hadn't noticed before was just getting ready to open as I passed at a quarter after six in the morning.  The baker was icing something that smelled wonderful.  Another local merchant to be avoided.

I saw a "minor surgery" physician's office I hadn't seen before.  It just seemed out of place because I expect to find doctors in medical buildings, not in storefronts on major thoroughfares.  The optometrist a few doors down, not so out of place.  The dentist on the other side, again, often found in a storefront, or a stand-alone building as opposed to being in a medical tower.

There were three places that do massage, but fortunately for my wallet, none were open at that hour.  The full-body massage is on sale at the one place that isn't exclusively for foot massage.  Then again, the two foot massage stores are on opposite sides (not next door, but close) to an adult-oriented shop that features CFM pumps in their window.  For the unitiated, CFM is an acronym for "Come F**k Me" that I learned while dating a Las Vegas showgirl who apparently liked dating guys she could tower over when she wore her own CFM pumps.  She was four or five inches taller when we were both barefoot, but when she put on those shoes, I felt like Mugsy Bogues standing next to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

I saw the big box Best Buy I live near and placed yet another mental bet about the future of that company.  I saw an O'Reilly auto parts store, and heard their jingle in my head.  I saw three joggers and two walkers, all of whom said "hello" or nodded their head in acknowledgement.  Finally, I saw my front door.  That was the best sight of all.  I'm so looking forward to seeing it at the end of tomorrow's walk.